1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Window's XP ... Fan is loud, Blue Screen Came Up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by denise22, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denise22

denise22 Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi,
    The past few days, the fan on my Dell laptop computer has been very loud. A blue screen comes up at times wanting me to do something with drivers, i've deleted rograms i thought i downloaded at the time, but it came up again last night.
    It then takes me to Microsoft Windows Error Reporting... here's the message that comes up there...

Help and Support | Security | Microsoft Update

Follow these steps to solve the problem with a device driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

Troubleshooting is available that might help you solve the problem

Troubleshooting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depending on which situation is applicable to you, do one of the following:

If this problem occurred after you installed a new hardware device on your computer, the problem might be caused by the device driver. Use the Dell Driver Reset Tool or uninstall the driver.

How do I disable or uninstall a device driver?

Note: This may cause hardware devices to stop functioning.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel. If you are using Classic View, click Switch to Category View.
    Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
    Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    Click the plus sign (+) next to the faulting device. You should now see the device listed.
    Right-click the device, and then click Disable or Uninstall.
    Alternate Steps

Click Start, and then click Search.
    Choose All files and folders, and then type the driver name in the All or part of the file name field.
    Click Search.
    When the file appears in the results, right-click the file and click Rename.
    Rename the file (for example, filename.old). Remember the file name so you can enable it later if you need to.
    If this problem occurred after you installed new software, the software might have installed a driver that caused the problem. Try uninstalling the software.

How do I uninstall a program in Windows XP?

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
    Click Change or Remove Programs, and then click the program you want to change or remove.
    Click the appropriate button:
    To change a program, click Change/Remove or Change.
    To remove a program, click Change/Remove or Remove.

Warning

When you click Change or Remove, some programs may be removed without prompting you further.

Note: Add or Remove Programs will only remove programs that were written for Windows operating systems. For other programs, check the documentation that came with the program to see if other files (such as .ini files) should be removed.

If you don't know the specific driver or software, try performing a System Restore.
    Go online and check for updated drivers on the Microsoft Update website.
    For information about your support options, go online to the Support.Dell.Com website.

It hasn't come up today, but that doesn't mean it won't, it does that.
    i'd post a high jack thing, but can't remember how to do that.

i just had the hard drive put in a couple months ago. The other one totally died on me.
    i now am running Super Anti Spyware program i saw on another post, and have deleted Spybot Search and Destroy from advice on another post saying it's old.

i also have Xsoftspy, Spyware Doctor, Registry Mechanice, Nortons since yesterday, had Avast before that.

any help would be so appreciated,
    thank you,
    Denise of Ingleside

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice