1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Window's Xp Fax Not Working After Sp2???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by donnieb6680, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donnieb6680

donnieb6680 Thread Starter

Hi and Thanks for looking,

I just install the SP2 update and since I've been unable to use the Windows Fax :confused: . If anyone is familiar with the windows fax software that comes with Windows XP, whenever you finish the 'send fax wizard' you can see the 'fax moniter'. Since the update has been installed, the moniter is no longer pops up. I check the outgoing fax and it says fatal error, this happens no matter how many times I retry it. I think it has something to do with protocal?? Help would be much appreciated. :) Any Ideas at all would be appreciated, I dont' know what to do.

PS.. This is windows XP Professional

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

3. donnieb6680

I didn't see the fax thing on their, the only thing on the list I had was the EZ armor but I got that after SP2. Thanks for the Help.

4. telecom69

5. donnieb6680

Nope??? I got nowhere....I get no kind of error or anything so I don't even know where to start looking for any problems.

6. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi donnieb6680,
    Check to see if the Windows Firewall is enabled. If it is disable it and go into Satr, ControlPanel Admin tools, Services, find MS firewall and Internet Connection sevice, right click and stop. Try your fax and see if it works

7. donnieb6680

Nope, did the same thing.

8. angel

angel

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the fax service? I found a post on one of Microsoft's forums where they stated this resolved the prob. The assumption was that one of the fax services dll's was overwritten by sp2 and that reinstalling put the correct dll in place.

9. donnieb6680

Yes, I did try that. The only way I found to uninstall it was in the add/remove programs under the windows items it was fax services. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and had the same problem. But, this problem hasn't occured until the SP2 update. The weird thing was, it still had all of the same things in the outbox folder and the sent items, maybe it didn't uninstall all the way? I will try it again and let you know. Thanks.

10. telecom69

11. donnieb6680

I thought about that but wouldn't it change everything back?

12. telecom69

Yes it will,it will take you back to before you installed SP2, but which is the most important to you? SP2 is known to cause lots of things not to work,and more things are coming to light every day,at least if you do this you will be sure that it is SP2 that caused this,plus you can always undo a system restore anyway,I think I would be giving it a try ......

13. cynmarose

cynmarose

System Restore will bring you back to an earlier time. Be sure to SAVE what you don't want to LOSE first!!! Good Luck!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice