1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Files Wont Install.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cravepain, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cravepain

Cravepain Thread Starter

Hello,

I am currently on another computer.

The computer I am having problems with is a Dell. The first signs of problems was it getting massive amounts of pop-ups, even when I wasn't on a website, and even when I cleaned up my computer, did scans and such.

So I decided to call Dell Support and asked them for a bit of help. Well, that was a bit stupid it seems. The first person I talked to was a women, and she told me to reset a few things and reinstall Windows XP onto the computer. So I did and it was bringing up errors. She had me do this again, the same way, about three more times. After them not working, she asked me what CDs I had, then preceded to tell me I had to wrong ones, or I got them from a friend - which wasn't the case. They ended up sending me a free set of Windows XP CDs, come to find out they where the same exact CDs I already owned.

I called them back again, like I was told, and this time I talked to a man. He told me I had to totaly redo my Windows XP, had me delete some things, and then we tried to work from there. Only now, while loading the CDs, it wasn't copying most of the files. He didn't know what to do and told me to do some hard drive scans, and other scans of the sort. Nothing seemed to be wrong, so he told me to try it again and then call back the next day.

So of course it didn't work that time, and I called back the next day. I talked to a different man who seemed like he knew a little bit more about computers than the others. He had me run some new scans, and then told me the previous people I have talked to messed up my computer pretty bad. He said he wasn't too sure on how to fix my problems now. He told me that the first women I talked to shouldn't have made me redo my Windows XP at all, and that is the cause of my problem now.

So now for my problem. I can't even get Windows XP to install onto my computer. More than half the files do not install and I get errors. I do not have the computer plugged in at the moment. But if you would like me to plug it in and tell you the exact errors I am getting while installing Windows XP, I can do so.

I have been trying to fix this computer for a few months now, and even took it to a few professionals. Everyone tells me I should just get a new computer, but I am dead set on fixing this one. I don't plan on buying a new computer because of Dell's mistakes.

I would really love some help here, and I am not sure if this is the correct section or not to post this in. I hope it is.

Thank you very much in advance for all the help. I really appreciate it. :)

- Nikki

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Just having one stick of RAM installed sometimnes does the trick
    if there is more than one RAM module in the PC try with just ONE module, and try each module individually in each of the slots.

3. Cravepain

Cravepain Thread Starter

Yes, I have tried that already. It did nothing differently.

4. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

knowing what the error messages are would help

5. redhat9

redhat9

Like jack said definitely try one stick of ram to possible eliminate a ram related issue, but you've already did that. But what could also be the culprit is that the IDE cables from the CD-ROM drive to the motherboard could be faulty. Also, a stick or so of ram could be error loaded. I remember back in the day with an old Celeron 566 IBM special and bad ram, it made the good old Windows Me installation complain. Better question, what model Dell is it? And personally I find it funny that a computer professional is telling you to purchase a new computer, until about a year ago I was running a P3 dated back to 2001, worked great. I'm guessing this Dell has a Pentium 4 processor.

6. redhat9

redhat9

One more thing, I've noticed that on some Dell models that the CD-ROM drives are garbage, I had to replace one in a friends computer that was less than a month old. Your probably wondering why not have Dell fix it, because we didn't want to wait through the year of phone support then the additional months of technician repairs. :p

7. Cravepain

Cravepain Thread Starter

Well, while I was talking to someone with Dell, they had me do some scans - one being for the CD-ROM drive. They also told me to use the DVD drive instead, just to make sure it wasn't the CD-ROM drive causing the problems. Eaither way the files would not install.

The model is: Dell Dimension 2350.

And yes, I found if funny they where telling me to buy a new computer as well. But me being the stubborn person I am, I am going to fix the one they messed up, lol.

8. Cravepain

Cravepain Thread Starter

I was told by a friend that I can download Windows XP Professional on this computer, then copy it to a CD, and then use that to add Windows to my computer.

He asked me something about a Operating System, and I told him the people at Dell had me delete all the partitions and totaly re-do my Windows (Delete it and start over). So, he said the CD might not work.

Is this worth trying?

9. redhat9

redhat9

What I would recommend to you to do at this point is to try a different IDE cable for the CD-ROM drives. Maybe a friend might have one or they are even quite inexpensive at your local computer parts retailer. I know there are a lot of possibilities out there but on another Dell of the same generation of yours, I have seen that if one of the CD/DVD drives is failing, that it will make the installation of Windows a nightmare. Maybe you might want to isolate the drives by having only one plugged in at a time.

10. Cravepain

Cravepain Thread Starter

Alright, I will try that. Thank you.

11. frankjohn

frankjohn

Might end up wiping HD or replace

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice