1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp firewall

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WEBBIT, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WEBBIT

WEBBIT Thread Starter

Hi is the windows xp proffesional firewall any good, and on the advanced tab what do you enable, do you need to make any additions, i am currently on ntl broadband running norton system works and have just binned zone alarm pro.

2. gaftop1

gaftop1

zone's better

3. rude

rude

I agree with gaftop1,ZoneAlarm is better,and I have tried several.Perhaps you need to go back and read the Product Introduction in Zone's Help section.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't be without it!

4. MINz

MINz

Until SP2 is released for XP the built-in firewall shouldn't be used.

MINz

5. PcGrafix

PcGrafix

Even after SP2 is released, XP's firewall shouldn't be used. Do you look up a vetinarian to get a tooth filled ?

Then why would you trust your security to the creators of an operating system that need three years to plug half the wholes they left in it.

My current setup I have a firewalled router, Norton Internet Security & ZoneAlarm Pro Installed. XP's Firewall is off, The only thing I found it good for blocking is services I wanted to use.

6. MINz

MINz

Well, I'll hold off judging the firewall in SP2 until I see the final release. As far as trusting M$ goes, if you use any Windows OS's then you have, to some degree, trust them.

MINz

7. OLIVIA17

OLIVIA17

How do I turn off the XP firewaLL?

OLIVIA17

8. Lobos

Lobos

start
    control panel
    network connections
    pick your connection
    right click
    click properties
    advanc
    un check internet firewall

9. jmac5700

jmac5700

This my be something really simple (very computer illiterate person here!) I use XP Pro and am using the Norton Internet Security and AntiVirus. Does anyone know how I can stop the CONSTANT Program Control alerts that pop up. I've had some other problems with it. About a month after I got the computer, we found out my system was corrupt. The tech support, helped install the Norton, rather than what came on the computer. So I trusted their opinion and when the temp. subscription (to the AntiVirus) was up I renewed it. I also got the Internet Security, so I would have the Firewall. That is when I began to have problems with the alerts. I have literally about 5 per minute or more. It really is annoying! Any suggestions? Thanks

10. PcGrafix

PcGrafix

Well make sure that when a program alert comes up that you are putting a check in the little box that says always use this action. That way the programs one by one will be eliminated from alerting you unless the version changes then same applies once you do that again that program will stop bugging you. Also on the Norton Internet Security Main WIndow click options and choose Norton Internet Security. Look through the various options to make sure that they are set at a level that isn't going to give you a ridiculous amount of warnings. Same with Personal Firewall, Click Configure and start from medium and choose the options you want from there

11. jmac5700

jmac5700

I've done all those things. How long should those alerts keep coming back. I check the box, it's been 3 months since I've installed the Internet Security. Nothing is really set too high. I have changed them a couple of times hoping to not have the alerts so often, but I still have them more often then I think I'm supposed to.

12. Radd53

Radd53

I have searched and read for days. I just can't figure this one out. I can enable my windows xp firewall and everything seems normal. No error prompts or anything, as I said, all seems normal. I can go back to network connections and look a minute or two later and the firewall is disabled. I know protection is better with some of the other firewalls, zone for an example. I don't know, for sure, when this problem started, I just noticed it a few weeks ago. It just bothers me, I can't fix this problem. I have searched here and other places, as well as, mirosoft's knowledge base. I just can't find a fix. I have worked on machines that will not let me enable the firewall, however, they would always give me a error prompt. An error prompt, at least, gives me something to work with.

Radd53

I built this one a couple of yrs ago. Upgraded hard drives about 1 yr ago

Windows xp pro (sp1 with all updates)
    MSI ultra 333 bluetooth m/b
    1800xp AMD
    768megs 333 DDR (kingston)
    ATI 9200 128meg
    2 ultra 133 7200rpm 160g maxtors on a promise raid controller (os here)
    2 ultra 133 7200rpm 30g maxtors slaved on the raid controller
    linksys 10/100
    TDK 24x cdrw
    Sony 212 DVD+-RW

13. PcGrafix

PcGrafix

Well I would check into a possible trojan horse, Because it sounds to me like something maybe shutting it off. The only two things that come to mind for me on it is that either something it requires to run, Either a driver or a service is unstable and crashing. Or that you have a trojan horse or virus that is purposefully shutting it off. I would start by running an online virus check. http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
    is a good place to start, Since something intelligent enough to shut down a firewall would also be intelligent enough to write over your viruse checking programs exe file to exlcude itself. I know it sounds crazy but I have seen it happen to people.

If you come up clean then something isn't right about windows, I would at that point find your Windows CD put it in the CDRom Drive & click on start,run
    type in or copy and paste the following command
    sfc /scannow

This will make windows examine it's core files and replace anything that has become corrupted or otherwise changed, After running the system file check you should visit windows update as this can revert some things back to older versions, update if needed. Then run
    chkdsk /f
    Run your defragmenter on the OS Drive, Usually C:
    Then try your firewall again, If I think of anything else I will post it here.

14. Radd53

Radd53

Thanks very much for the reply. I learned several thing while reading your post. I'll do as you instructed. Thanks again.

Radd53

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are using broadband, get yourself a router. You will be able to share the connection and a router will give you a hardware firewall. A hardware firewall is much preferable to a software one that uses system resources.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice