1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP - Forgets Gateway Setting

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SidPrice, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SidPrice

SidPrice Thread Starter

Hi,

I just installed a Qwest DSL connection on my home network. On my PC I am having a problem with it "forgetting" the gateway setting for my NIC. All other PCs on the network are fine and do not have this problem. The problem occurs after a variable amount of time and does not seem to be related to network activity or inactivity.

The problem is present if the IP settings are DHCP or static.

It can be fixed (for a while) by using the "repair" feature available in the context menu of the connection in Network Connections.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sid.

2. simplejohn

simplejohn

Hey
    In your case I would say that you have a spyware/virus running around.
    If the gateway address is "forgotten" just like that.. there must be a program
    around there that change this thing.

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Also you may want to reset your TCP/IP stack if your running SP2 you type in -

Maybe you have some corrpution in the TCP/IP stack causing it to flake out.

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Make sure to get all the information before you run this if you have it static.

4. SidPrice

SidPrice Thread Starter

Yes, I had already tried that and it did not fix the issue.

My antivirus and firewall etc are all up to date, plus, the issue began only after the failed QWest CD installation failed, I highly doubt any spyware or virus is present.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sid.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

the failed QWest CD installation

Have you tried a second installation to get it installed right and then a complete uninstall... It can be that this "failed" install fubared the entire thing... Do you have system restore in place maybe you can do a rollback and see if that works?

6. SidPrice

SidPrice Thread Starter

According to QWest the "Installer" only runs the XP network wizard to configure the NIC and a USB port, it does not actually install any software. After the failed installation my NICs (I have a second NIC for a development network) were both set incorrectly. The QWest helpline technician helped manually configure the NIC for the access of the modem and I fixed my second NIC. The other computers on the nework were not changed in any way and continue to operate great.

Also, at the suggestion of an MS tech on another list I started the PC in SAFE mode and the problem did not appear after running the PC for over two hours.

Any further help would be much appreciated, I really don't want to have to build a new hard drive for this machine as it has so many tools on it and installing and pllying patches could be a nightmare.

Thanks,
    Sid.

7. SidPrice

SidPrice Thread Starter

Thanks for the restore point suggestion. I did that and it resolved the issue. I would have like to have understood what was going on, but having it fixed is great.

Many thanks,
    Sid.

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Glad to hear this fixed it... sometimes you can't decypher the one little thing an install may mess up and decypering it may take more time than just doing a restore...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/402849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice