Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP freezes and 1 continuous beep

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  drivecrasher 
#1 ·
Hi there,

My PC:
Dell dimension 9200

Whislt booted in windows XP, randomly the PC will freeze and 1 continuous beep comes from the motherboard. I have to turn off the computer and boot it back up again. There are no beeps during boot up.

Before windows freezes, each program I am running slowly stops working.
I.E.
I can chat on MSN messenger for abit until eventually it stops working.
When I right click on the desktop the menus appear semi transparent.

After that everything freezes and 1 continous beep comes from the motherboard.

I have not installed any new hardware or software. It just happened randomly.

I have 2 1gig ram, I tried using only 1 of those each to see if it could be the memory but the PC still crashed regardless of the memory stick I use. Though this doesn't rule out the possibility that both memory sticks are broke (unlikey though?).

I tried replacing my graphics card, it still occured. I ran the hard disk diagnostic which said they pass.

I checked that all cables were fitted correctly and refit them just encase.

Tried to install windows again using windows recovery, which took ages cause the PC kept hanging, so that obviously is a hardware problem.

I can only assume it is either the Power supply or the motherboard. Though I could be wrong and it could be both memory sticks.

Hoping it is the power supply because i've heard replacing a motherboard with a dell pc is not easily possible. The pc has ran out of it's warrenty.

The bios doesn't seem to have a CPU temperature monitor, so I do not know if the CPU is overheating. The fan still seems to be working though for the CPU since I can feel the cold air come from it.

I don't think it is overheating because I once left the PC without doing anything for over 5 hours and it didn't crash, it only started to crash once I started using it.

Does anyone else know what this could be or how else I can identify the problem?

Thanks,
Matt

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.