1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP freezes at logo screen but will start in Safe Mode! Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Canning10, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Canning10

Canning10 Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my laptop whereas it wont start up as normal and always freezes at the logo screen where the litte blue bar moves across the screen near the bottom. The laptop will start in Safe Mode but I don't have a clue what's causing this issue or how I can solve it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Laptop - Novatech Revo 440 CEL M Notebook.

2. Sponsor

3. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

Hi, have you made any Hardware - Software changes to the notebook prior to this happening?
    In safe mode, fewer drivers load up and a driver fault may be the cause.

Try System Restore from safe mode.
    Start > Run > Type.
    msconfig

Click Launch System restore.
    Choose a date prior to the problem.

4. Canning10

Canning10 Thread Starter

Hi,

I don't believe that i have made any of these changes to my laptop. Although before the problem begin i had to get the fan replaced at i dropped the laptop on the floor. Once the fan was replaced, it worked fine for about a week that then this issue began.

I have just this minute tried to start it in Safe Mode but now that doesnt appear to be working?

5. blues_harp28

Did the person you changed the fan, check that all was a Ok with the laptop?
    A drop on the floor could have done some internal damage, to say the least.

What happens when you turn it on - what do you see on the screen?

6. Canning10

Canning10 Thread Starter

Well hea being doing that type of stuff for a while and mentioned he'd checked that the laptop was working okay afterwards. Like I said, it was working for 1-2 weeks without any issues before this problem started so it could caused more damage than expected I guess.

Well it used comes up to a black and white screen offering to start in safe mode etc. the first time I turn it on it comes up with a list of lines in black and white which suddenly stops and gets stuck.

After it freezes, I turn it off and then back on and then try safe mode but the same happens!

7. blues_harp28

Not looking good.
    Does it load to the safe mode screen and then freeze?
    Does the notebook have a Cd drive - do you have the install Cd?

8. Canning10

Canning10 Thread Starter

Lol, I know!!

It used to start up fine in safe mode, but it's just frozen on a black and white screen with lines of text. It usually gets past that stage but now it appears to have given up.

I have the driver installation CD and can insert that but I don't think I have the install CD. I can have a look but the notebook was given to me by a friend who didn't use it much, and I have a bad feeling they didn't include the CD when I got it!

9. blues_harp28

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice