1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP freezes then screen goes blank.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by biggy_boy, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. biggy_boy

biggy_boy Thread Starter

Hey, I'm having a problem with Windows XP.

The last few days, my cursor has been freezing and the screen has been going black for a few seconds, but it would soon return to normal.

Well, Today when I went to turn it on, it got up to the login screen before doing the same thing but not returning to normal - it would freeze and the screen would remain black.

I haven't made any hardware changes so don't know if that's the problem, I have tried booting in safe mode but it seems to stall at the loading screen, I have taken out the RAM and reseated it and when that didn't work tried using a different stick of RAM but the result was the same. I replaced my HDD about a year ago so don't believe that could be the problem.

I was thinking the OS could be corrupt and need repairing. Any ideas?

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Hopefully you have a working firewall and a decent anti-virus programme which you've updated and scanned with recently. That's about all I can say at this stage.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My suspicion is also a corrupt Windows. Suggest you try a Repair Install if you have, or can borrow, an XP installation CD.

If you need to first backup some data try a "rescue disk." My suggestion is Puppy Linux. If you'd like I'll outline how to do that.

Other things to consider are a memory test, such as memtest86+ and a disk check if your disk manufacturer has diagnostics that can be used standalone. Puppy also includes the GParted partition manager, which includes a disk check.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913954

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice