1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP freezes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lottie11, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lottie11

lottie11 Thread Starter

I have a problem with Windows XP.Loads Ok and screen opens up. Mouse is ok within main window but as soon as i move into the bottom bar - eg to open Start - it freezes - that is the pointer goes into the "thinking" mode.
    I can open in safe mode but canno correct this fault.
    Help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Have you made any changes to the system just prior to the problem starting.

Please follow this guide.

CLEAN BOOT TROUBLESHOOTING technique XP
    First, restart in Safe Mode (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu).
    In Safe Mode –
    Click Start and then Run, type msconfig into the Run box and hit Enter. Select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.
    See this link for detailed information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    Now restart in Normal mode and test the issue at hand.
    If no problems, run msconfig again and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, Uncheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.
    If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.
    Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.
    Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

3. lottie11

lottie11 Thread Starter

Many thanks, Mark, tried all that and things seemed OK to so went back to Normal Startup and it all went wrong again.
    Reverting to Selective Start had no affect. Now screen opens up, pointer moves but clicking it has no effect.
    The other odd thing is that I'm now getting a message that Windows needs to be reactivated.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

So at what point did it run ok in Normal mode, with Services disabled or Start up processes disabled.

5. lottie11

lottie11 Thread Starter

Mark,in following your suggestion I went into selective start and went through the stages suggested by you. when all seemed well I returned to Normal start and found that I was back where I started - further actually. Originally I could open some programs (but not many) and the pointer stuck only on "Start". Now nothing happens when I click on any of the icons and it still freezes on "Start".
    Your help is appreciated.

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, I just want to be sure you have followed the instructions correctly.

When you used safe mode to set up selective start up did you then try booting into Normal mode while the various services and start up items were disabled.

This process is not intended to fix anything it is meant to isolate the service or start up process that is causing a problem when running in Normal mode.

7. lottie11

lottie11 Thread Starter

I'm not sure Mark so I repeated the exercise:
    -safe mode
    -ms config
    -services
    -hide microsoft
    -disable all
    apply.
    In startup selection check only Load startup items and use original .

When I restart i get the normal screen with pointer. Some items can be loaded but others cannot. also as soon as pointer moves to Start it goes into think mode and stays there.
    incidentally can't use System restore.
    Your help is greatly appreciated

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

I am sorry to ask again but I think you may have done something wrong. This guide below is from the microsoft link I gave in the instructions. After typing msconfig into the Run box and hitting Enter follow the settings below and then reboot into Normal mode and report again what happens. With all these services and startup items disabled it should perform the same as it does in safe mode.

You have said "In startup items check only Load startup items" this is wrong, it should be unchecked or all the startup items will still be running when you reboot.

Configure selective startup options
    1. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
    2. Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
    3. Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
    4. Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
    5. Click the Services tab.
    6. Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
    7. Click Disable All, and then click OK.
    8. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

9. lottie11

lottie11 Thread Starter

Mark,
    Sorry for delay. Just after last message I had internet problem, so left screen as it was and used laptop to try to solve internet problem - turned out to be faulty router. whilst I was doing this noticed that PC screen had returned to normal. Left it alone for 24 hours & when internet fixed used it ok for email & web use. Decided today to try restart to see what happened. Went back into same mode - screen & pointer show, work on some icons but not others and not on toolbar. carefully went through the procedure again, still the same but after about 30 mins screen went back to normal.
    Any ideas?

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

Not sure what could have happened but I do believe that Explorer.exe, the process that makes the desktop work can be effected by a faulty router so that may have been the cause. I was researching a desktop with missing icons that was resolved by replacing the router so there must be a link somewhere between the two.

Anyway, fingers crossed the problem is resolved.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice