Windows xp fresh install problems...please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sec4allstar

just did a fresh install finished the MSDOS portion of the setup and then restarted

then when it restarts its says press f8 to agree...

then says "loading information file setupp.ini" then it says setup could not read the cd you inserted and does not read the cd now im stuck here

waht to do

wipe the cd, might just be dusty or something. Make sure that the most minimal components are attached to the PC too ie mouse keyboard and monitor only

sec4allstar

wiped the cd but ill try removing everything else but if that doesnt work wat should i do

Have you been able to install this disk before?

If not, do you have another computer you can try this installation on?

Possibilities, for me, include:

-Bad disk
-Bad CD-ROM
-CD-ROM that is too old for XP

How old is the computer you're trying to install this on?

You may also need to upgrade the BIOS on your motherboard. Check your motherboard's manufacturer for compatibility with WinXP.

Cheers

sec4allstar

computer is from 99 and bios is good

everything was good until it was time to set it up copied all files and then gets stuck at setupp.ini

i have a question since this is an operating system thread...can you use the windows xp cd you get with dell computers to install it on a non dell system...?

sec4allstar: check the Microsoft knowledge base. If other people have had the same thing happen with the same cause, it will likely be in there.

Besides that, TRY THE DISK ON ANOTHER COMPUTER. YOU MAY HAVE A BAD DISK.

alloutwar: It depends on how Dell setup their restore disk. I would recommend against it as Microsoft OEM operating systems are only licensed for the machine they were originally sold with. If you installed that operating system on another machine, it would be legally similar to downloading a Microsoft operating system and installing it. Your reference is: http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/partners/YourPC_do.mspx

sec4allstar

i copied the setupp.ini from the desk to the c drive and now it goes thru

but now it gets stuck at Dosnet.inf i copied that also but it still doesnt load it

i dont know what to do

Wash The Cd With Warm Dishsoad Solution, RINSE, And Wipe From The Center Out --not In A Circular Motion. Pat Dry With A Paper Towel And Try Again. As Was Mentioned Before, If You Have A Newer Cd Rom Sitting Around Use It On Secondary Master And Try Again. ;-)

You cannot use a Dell reinstallation disc on another pc . . the installation will look for a Dell proprietary BIOS and if it does not find it, it will not install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts