1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Hang-up at Windows Home Screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mrsafest, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrsafest

mrsafest Thread Starter

Jan 3, 2007
    First and foremost, I did a search in the forums and although some offer good suggestions and solutions, they don't pertain to what I am experiencing. If after reading my post, you can link me to proper instructions/solution, I thank you in advance.

I have a Windows XP computer that is only loading to the Welcome screen. This computer has 2 user accounts set up on it and it does not even load the user accounts to try to gain access into Windows.

I have tried going into Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking to NO success. I don't know any other options beyond this point except for re-installing Windows (which I am trying to avoid to save data on my hard drive).

If I need to re-install Windows, I know I can put my hard drive in another system and back up the information first but I am hoping I don't need to do that.

Does anyone know how I can get Windows to finish loading so I can fix the hang up it is going through?
  2. daz1

daz1 Banned

Nov 4, 2006
    fairly sure this is when your particular xp version is trying very hard to connect to a network, all xp thinks its for business till you turn services off. have you waited like say 5 mins?? if you cant get into safe mode though probably a faulty installation? dirty disc? fingerprints on it etc etc???
  3. Harbir

Apr 22, 2010
    Go to BIOS and change the boot options. It would work Fine then. Thanks
  4. alnic123

Mar 18, 2007
    I have just started having the same problem, i had the same thing last year aswell and was told i need a new hard drive. That did fix it last time but is there anything else it could be? Don't really want to have to buy a new hard drive :(
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/931299