1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows XP hangs at black screen before login

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tim167167, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim167167

tim167167 Thread Starter

Hello,
    My windows installation won't start anymore.
    It hangs at a black screen when the login screen should appear. (point "5)" below is the current state)
    This is the history:
    1) The windows xp wouldn't boot, (even the XP logo didn't appear).
    2) I found out it was because of a virus. (running in safe mode showed an error message)
    3) I was able to remove some files that looked supicious from the WINDOWS/system32 directory. (by booting into linux and mounting the windows disk there, also ran ClamAV...etc)
    some of the files I removed were: "khvcol.exe", "gp1 .exe" (with a space)
    4) At that point I tried to boot the windows and it _did_ boot again.
    However, I still got some annoying popups, which I thought were related to more viruses,
    so I went ahead and removed some more files the same way as above...
    5) Now when I try to boot, it hangs at this black screen when the login screen should appear.
    I'm afraid I may have removed a file too many...
    this is what I removed:
    ./WINDOWS/system32/lsass.exe (I already discovered that lsass.exe was not to be removed, but I kept a backup copy and put it back)
    WINDOWS/\$NtServicePackUninstall\$/lsass.exe (I read somewhere that when present anywhere other than WINDOWS/system32 this is probably a virus)
    WINDOWS/ServicePackFiles/i386/lsass.exe (I read somewhere that when present anywhere other than ./WINDOWS/system32 this is probably a virus)
    WINDOWS/system32/app_dll.dll
    Documents\ and\ Settings/Administrator/Local\ Settings/Temp/khvcol.exe
    Program\ Files/MSN\ Gaming\ Zone/Windows/hrtzzm.exe
    my guess is that lsass.exe is the problem, because it has something to do with login...?
    can anyone help me get this windows running again ?
    thanks
    Tim

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice