1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP hangs up after connecting adsl router

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by coolpcguy, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coolpcguy

coolpcguy Thread Starter

Hi guys, I recently got a broadband connection(ADSL, 2mbps). My adsl modem/router is a UT-300R2U. Problem few minutes after I start surfing (or connecting the router) my windows xp system hangs up. Thought may be the windows installation was screwed, but even after doing a fresh install the system hangs. I've tried IE6, FF2, all wit the same--system hangs up. How can i fix this? The adsl is connected to my LAN card. a Via RHINE II 10/100 mbps. thanks

2. schusterjo

schusterjo

Visit the website of the router manufacturer and download the latest driver. and while you are there you also may want to look for a firmware update that they may have put out to correct an issue.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would be looking at updating driver for nic card (network card) in Device Manager or if pc is old you may need to add a separate pci nic card instead of one built in to mobo. I note you boot 3 os. Does this problem occur in all 3?

4. coolpcguy

coolpcguy Thread Starter

I don't think it's the router firmware issue as this problem occurs only in XP. Win98 and SuSE and absolutely fine. I use SuSE for most of my Surfing, I need to use XP only for online gaming. SuSE has been up and running all day yesterday, with no hint of slowdown or hanging up.
    I checked for newer updates of the MoBo drivers, but the one on the MoBo(ASUS) website is the same as the one on my driver cd!!
    My system is not that old(only 2 years, which is like eternity in comp land anyways)

5. coolpcguy

coolpcguy Thread Starter

You know it seems there's some incompatibility with WinXP and my NIC driver.. I connected the router to the comp via USB and had no problems-it was just fine.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

As I said before, you might want to try a pci nic card, I have pc's where this happens.

7. coolpcguy

coolpcguy Thread Starter

ok thanks I'll try that if possible

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice