Windows XP - Happy 15th Birthday!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
In October 2001, Windows XP was released to the world.
It allowed you to boot from its disc and install it without any complicated DOS commands or the need for a startup floppy disk - which was needed with Windows 95 and 98 and ME.
All support for it ended about 2-1/2 years ago, but it has remained a popular operating system and has more users than Windows 8.1.
I no longer use it, but I feel it deserves some respect for its longevity and popularity.
Happy 15th birthday, Windows XP! :p

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

OverTallman

Jacky
It was the first operating system that allowed you to boot from its disc and install it without any complicated DOS commands or the need for a startup floppy disk.
I'm fairly sure some Windows 2000 Professional setup discs are bootable and you don't need to use floppy disks if that's the case.

Anyway, while all of my laptops have moved onto other OS, I'm still using different flavors of Windows XP in many of my repurposed thin clients, as many of them are too weak for newer OS. The slowest things that I've installed XP into are:
  • Neoware CA9 - VIA C3 Nehemiah (800MHz), 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD - quite smooth actually, can even browse websites
  • Fujitsu Futro S200 - Transmeta Crusoe TM5800 (800MHz), 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD - occasional lags, but otherwise usable
  • Wyse S30 - AMD Geode GX500 (366MHz), 512MB RAM, 30GB HDD - overall slower than the Futro, not as many lags though
Also have an HP Neoware Thintune XS with SiS 550 SoC (runs at a freaking 200MHz), let's see if I can squeeze an embedded version of XP into a large CF card (not enough space for a hard drive) and make it run.

Yeah... I know I'm insane :p

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have a long-time friend who still uses Windows XP Professional SP3, so I have it configured to keep receiving security updates every month.
He uses the Mozilla Firefox browser in it, but it will no longer support Windows XP in a few months, so I'm eventually going to need to switch him to Windows 7 SP1.

My wife's computer is XP and she uses SeaMonkey for her browser and email. Almost identical to the old Netscape browser.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm only familiar with the Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome browsers, and I haven't used the Netscape browser since the Windows 95/98/ME days.
Internet Explorer 8 is the most current version that can be used in Windows XP, and most websites no longer support it.
I believe Google Chrome has already dropped support for Windows XP.
I believe Mozilla Firefox will be dropping support for it in March or April.

Johnny b

John
Nice thread flavallee :)

For me, XP sp3 was a vast improvement over win9X, imo.
Perhaps the most I've seen from one version to another since win95..

But, things change. :)

My old home built win2k machine now sports Puppy Linux and my old Acer XP machine sits in a closet lol!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have a Windows XP disc integrated to April 2014 and configured to keep receiving security updates, so I install it occasionally to test it.
Almost every software program and hardware device that I use in Windows 7 and Windows 10 still works with it.
Lost of support by internet browsers is one of its biggest issues and is what will eventually kill it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Miqw7394

Mike
Of course, you could always use Puppy Linux (from a USB stick) for browsing... No reason why you can't continue to use XP for everything else.

(Mind you, I dumped XP several months ago now.....and run Puppy exclusively. Everything I used to use XP for (mainly graphical design work) happily runs under WINE.....with no issues. I even have Adobe's Photoshop CS2 running perfectly in Puppy, so.....where's the point continuing with it?)

I don't exactly miss it, either..!

Mike. ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online