1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP hardware/devices unreliable functionality

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zenogias, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zenogias

zenogias Thread Starter

I have an extremely frustrating problem whereby Windows fails to recognize many (if not all) of my hardware on either the IDE bus or the USB bus will fail to work properly. What happens is, for example, if I insert a CD in the CD drive, it will not recognise that a CD is there. The only way I can get it to see the CD, is if i reboot with the CD in the drive. As soon as I eject and insert a different or even the same CD, when it tries to scan it sees nothing there. Same goes with USB media like my digital camera. Only if I reboot with the camera/SD card attached will it recognise it. And my camera has an "automatically transfer pictures" button which i guess "force feeds" the data because when I click that button, it reboots my computer and when it restarts, it gives me a message that says "your computer has recovered from a serious error, click here to report the problem" and when i click that, it takes me to a page that says it was caused by a device driver, and there is no solution available presently. The CD drive doesn't reboot the computer but at any rate all the devices seem to only work if i boot the computer with them attached. Then they work fine and normally. Please help I'll do anything!

Sam

2. 4steve44

4steve44

Hello and welcome to TSG! Try reinstalling the drivers for the CD_Rom and USB. See if the are newer drivers available. :?)

3. zenogias

zenogias Thread Starter

honestly I'm not sure how to do that, but I appreciate the suggestion. The thing that makes me think it won't work is that I just installed the camera yesterday and reinstalled a couple times, and it does the same thing as all my other devices (floppy, CD-R, printer port, everything) And I don't know how to find the drivers for those buses...? Anyway if you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!

4. 4steve44

4steve44

Look for the drivers at the manufactures sites.

5. Shaneyst

Shaneyst

Zenogias -

I use XP and am having similiar problems. My Cd rom only recognizes audio CD's. It will burn anything you want, but it wont run any software. The rebooting thing works for me too. But not always. My floppy drive, CD Rom and digital camera are the only affected things for me. Rebooting the PC doesnt make any difference as far as the camera and floppy are concerned. Regarding the drivers, I have searched and downloaded the latest drivers and that doesnt make any difference. I have even uninstalled the software hoping that would help, but nothing. The one thing for me that I have found to work is to import while in safe mode. I would love to find a solution to this problem. If you will let me know what you find out I will do the same for you. Thank you.
    Sincerely frustrated, Shaneyst

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/315374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice