1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP has corrupt/missing start up files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mikeinstloui, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeinstloui

mikeinstloui Thread Starter

Today my computer was running very slowly

(My Norton Antivirus scan from last night said no virus' nor any in quaranteen) and it took minutes for google to start up.

Ulitimately, I had to shut it down with the power switch. When I rebooted, I got a blank screen. I tried to get into safe mode, but the same thing, it just had the blank gray screen. Once I got an error that it could not find a windows/system file and another it was a dll, (did not write down the name). Most recently it was a blank screen after waiting for hours for an error message to pop up.

I have my original windows XP disk. The first error message said to put it in and push R for repair at the start up screen. I tried this but all I got was d:/windows, and I did not know what to do from there.

I am no rocket scientist, but it seems like my start up files were corrupted. This is a pretty new hard drive but I do have some pictures on there I don't want to lose. I have my old hard drive installed as well on the same system that I have been using as extra storage. I did not try to boot from that but is it possible to maybe restore the missing files from there somehow?

I have read some other help pages, but they did not seem to apply to my problem.

I was able to boot from my Windows CD to set up Windows XP (the first option..not the repair one)

...basically the screen comes up and says that I have two hard drives, my C and my D (which is the storage one)

It says c: Partitiion 1 (unknown) 76317 MB (76317 MB free)

d: Partition 1 (fat 32) 9872 MB (9872 MB free)

and it asks me which one to set up.

HERE is my fear.

Since I see no R (repair) option on this screen, does it want me to install a fresh windows and erase all of my data...or will I see the R (repair) option when I click on the C: drive option to continue. My fear is that my disk is so corrupted that I may need to reinstall an wipe out all of my data, or have I just not gone far enough with this repair

I have a western digital hard drive and it is NTFS formatted

I hope this makes senseÂ…Any suggestions on what to do or where to start will be appreciated.

Thanks from Mike in St. Louis

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. mikeinstloui

mikeinstloui Thread Starter

I went to this site and went to the very last link for when repair is not an option.
    The guy said..no big deal...just go thru the steps until you get to C: windows and he copies all these files to temp files from C: to C: drive.

MY computer shows D: windows (my cd drive).

Is THIS what the guy meant, or am I supposed to have the C: prompt. Another one of your suggestions made refrence to the cd drive as K: and to do some stuff from there...I am confused and hopefully you understand what I mean.

Thanks

Mike

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431629

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice