Windows XP HDD full of Tmp Files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BigJohnJ

Hello.

I hope this is in the right place. If not please move it.
Question is, I have a Dell 2400 that I am trying to clean up.

The HDD is full of tmp files, Listed as POS7C53.tmp numbers increase with each file.
they are all around 7kb in size and are taking up almost 40gb on the HDD. Can I delete these files without doing any damage to the operating system?

I searched Google and did a search here on the forum but found no info on these files

Disk Cleanup will not touch them so will have to be deleted manually.

Thanks for your help.

John

I like ccleaner but am wary of using the registry cleaner portion of it.

It has good default settings- they can be unchecked if you want to keep your internet history for example-

http://www.ccleaner.com/

tip: click download/wait-direct to another page- then scroll down to bottom select 'other builds'

then download the 'slim' version- no stupid google toolbar:)

BigJohnJ

Thank you all for the advice. I will delete all the tmp files. I have used CCleaner in the past but perfer to do any removal manually I just wasn't sure about all the tmp files on the C drive. Any ideal how this machine might have gotten that many tmp files on it?
They are all dated 4/5/08.

Thanks again for your help.

John

When is the last time you cleaned out your temp folders?

What is the exact file path where you found them?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online