1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ubowl, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ubowl

ubowl Thread Starter

I have Windows XP home service pack 3, pent. 4 3.2gb 1024meg ram. When i start pc windows loads to user accounts page i choose the user (heres where the fun starts) i hit any key in the password field and it locks up. I tried safe mode to the same result. I then decided to try to boot with XP disc it said please choose correct drive and reboot. I went into F2 boot section and changed the boot priority and saved got the same result. went to F11 did the same. Same result. Thought i would mention i tried 3 more cd/dvd drives to rule out a bad drive. everytime i changed drive the bios saw the change.

2. batscrptmod200

batscrptmod200

this is definitely not a bios problem
    try safe mode with command prompt and use the administrator account
    e.g. Username: Administrator Password:
    but you said the xp disc didnt work when you booted to it?
    how did you try to boot to xp disc?
    i think you might have to reinstall :(
    but if you reinstall delete all partitions and format to ntfs but make sure you got the key first

3. ubowl

ubowl Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I've tried with command prompt didn't work either. Got no command prompt. I loaded disc in to drive and started PC after trying to select the drive to boot from. Don't want to loose HDD INFO

4. batscrptmod200

batscrptmod200

well when you boot up press f12 right when your computer turns on and keep pressing till you see boot options and select boot to cd and it should say press any key to boot to cd

5. ubowl

ubowl Thread Starter

Finally got disc to be read this is the last tjng I saw when seagate was ran Loading XMS driver then all it did was flash curser

6. batscrptmod200

batscrptmod200

something is corrup burn a bootable iso like knoppix to a cd and get the files copied to usb flash drive then try a bootable memtest86 iso to test your computers memory run it in 8 passes and tell if you ran into any errors

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice