1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP helppppppp!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by firebird5, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. firebird5

firebird5 Thread Starter

Hey yall ... all I want is this ... in simple 4th grade english .. can someone please explain to me, how do I uninstall Windows XP and return to Windows 98? When my stepson upgraded for me ( while I was out of town, surprise, surprise) I lost all sound. I am sick and tired of trying to fix whatever the problem is. All I want is to get RID of XP and go back to my old OS. Any one care to render a hand to a damsel in distress? Or do I have to whineeeeeeeee. LOL. Thanks yall.

2. tpb

tpb

3. buck52

buck52 Banned

4. firebird5

firebird5 Thread Starter

Ok ... thanks yall .... problem is .... there is no Uninstall Windows XP listed. Now what? And don't tell me to read that article Microsoft has listed at the end of their Uninstall process page cos when I click on it, I go to a page that says that is unavailable. GRRRRRRRR ... Yep ... I should be used to gettin the screw from Billy boy by now, but oh well..... lol. Any more ideas?

5. buck52

buck52 Banned

6. firebird5

firebird5 Thread Starter

Thank you buck. Now, just one teensy question ... in the instructions, it says to "start your computer to safe mode with command prompt."....... what the heck is that? Log in as an administrator? Where? XP ? Get me through step one and I can handle the rest <SSSS> .

7. firebird5

firebird5 Thread Starter

btw ... almost forgot ... nice photo buck. <SSS>

8. volrathxp

volrathxp

if you strike the f8 key during boot it will take you to the list where you can select the option to start up in safe mode w/ command prompt

hope i helped.

volrathxp
    :D :D :D :D
    :D :D :D :D

9. firebird5

firebird5 Thread Starter

thanks vol ... BUT ... I did it and got THIS message now ...
    "Setup cannot uninstall Windows XP because the necessary registration information is missing." ???? Any other suggestions?
    WHAT information?

10. littlemar

littlemar

Again you better find out how this install was done. From the sounds of the message you're getting now, it's not registered and MS will say it's a blackmarket copy. If it won't let you uninstall you might have to redo your pc. Maybe someone else has a better idea.:confused:

11. firebird5

firebird5 Thread Starter

BINGO!!!!! You got it. This copy of XP was already installed on another system. Microsoft wants to charge me to get the secret to uninstall it now. I didn't INSTALL the darn thing, someone else did without my knowledge or consent, heck, I was in Chicago that weekend, but I am paying the price to get rid of it. So, heed my advice, DO NOT INSTALL MICROSOFT XP on your system if the disk has been used on another. It is called a pirated version and THEY KNOW. Big brother IS watchin ya!
    So pleaseeeeeeeee ... anyone have any ideas or suggestions, let me know.

12. Ace4me

Ace4me

I am not an expert, but it sounds to me like you can bring your system up, but you have sound and other problems that make you want to dump XP.

I think you will need to:
    - bring it up with XP
    - back up everything that matters to you
    - reformat your c: drive (it may have been changed to NTFS)
    - do a clean install of Windows
    - re-install whatever other software you use (i.e., Word, etc.)
    - reload your data from back up

This looks painful to me, so maybe someone can think of a better way. You should probably do the backups of important stuff, regardless of what other ideas folks come up with to try, just in case.

Good luck. John A

13. volrathxp

volrathxp

well since it was a copy loaded that had the same key as another system did, you oughta remove it right away fore ms gets to ya :) i'd say do everything the guy before said and reload like win98 or so. if you do get xp and you have sound problems with it after you install a "clean, legal" version. let me know. thanks and hope i helped.

volrathxp

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice