1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp home basic reinstall

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by etaylor34, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etaylor34

etaylor34 Thread Starter

Hi i was hoping to reformat my girlfriends computer since she's never done it and it's got tons of stuff on there she doesn't need or use. The problem is she doesn't have her original Windows XP home basic cd that came with her computer so i was wondering if my Windows XP home edition cd would work with her cd key since my cd isn't the "basic" version.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Simple answer is, no it wont work with her key. Are we talking about an OEM Installation of Windows? If your compy of XP is a retail version and you are not using it on any other computer then you couls install it on her computer with out problems. However you will need the Motherboard drivers for her computer. Is her computer a big box computer like an HP/Compaq, Dell or something along those lines?

3. gatewaypc700

gatewaypc700

theres a home basic xp??? news to me!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm aware of XP Home, XP Pro, and XP Media Center. I'm also not aware of XP Basic.

Are you referring to Vista Basic?

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. gatewaypc700

gatewaypc700

Thats most likely, Im with Flav here.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/808321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice