1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Home - Can't install fax service

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by computertechie, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computertechie

computertechie Thread Starter

Got an XP Home computer. Can't install the fax service on it.

I go to Add/Remove Programs - Add Windows Components and select the fax service. It appears to install and the Fax even appears in Printers and Faxes for about 1 second, then vanishes.

Has anyone else experienced this?

More info:
    There is an Epson Stylus DX9400F all-in-one installed. Don't know if that is the reason for not being able to install the fax??

2. techychick

techychick

3. computertechie

Not sure what happened to the reply I posted a few minutes ago, but I have tried those links. Still can't get the fax installed.

the program group for Programs - Accessories - Communications - Fax is empty.

Help!

4. techychick

techychick

You need to install the fax extension
    Control Panel->Add or remove programs. Now click on the icon to the left: Add/Remove Windows Components, select Fax Services.
    You probably will need your XP CD to add this component.

5. computertechie

Done that. It just won't install. Appears for 2 seconds during the installation then goes.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Do you have a regular modem installed on the computer? Not the modem/router used for DSL or Cable, just a regular modem.

7. computertechie

Yes, there's a modem on board.

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

How does it check out in Device manager and what is the make and model and driver date for the modem?

9. bobtom

bobtom

I have the same issue, I have a DFV Modem. I've had Fax services installed on this machine w/ XP pro. Now I have XP home. The system log shows, events 20, 8, 4, 3. (Added, purged, pending deletion, deleted) all within seconds of eachother. the instlal logs seams to end with and start uninstalling... with this line.. "Failed to install the services section in section 'Fax.CleanInstall', rc = 0x4b8"

... Failed to install fax service. This is a fatal error, abandoning fax install...rc=0x4b8"

solution? as found else where...
    esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb {good luck}

reboot. reinstall.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/690475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice