1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Home: dumping physical memory to disk?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by r00ted, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

Hello:
    Whenever I boot up my AMD Athlon 2500+ system running Windows XP Home, it goes through the POST tests on start (detecting hard drives and such), then a grey bar "fills up" across the width of the screen, then it goes to this screen with a blue background, and it's giving a few different messages. It started with

STOP:c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    Registry cannot load Hive (file):
    SystemRoot\System32\Config\System
    or its log or alternate or it is corrpt, absent, or not writable.

Dumping physical memory to disk <percentage here%>

And it had a counter percentage that was increasing, when it complete, it flashed a quick message to the monitor (I couldnt read it it flashed by so fast. So, then it went to the Windows XP flash screen with the green loading bars and after a few seconds (maybe 10-20), it automatically rebooted again.

This time it went through the POST, and then showed another blue screen like mentioned above, only this time the file was SystemRoot/System32/Config/DEFAULT went through that process of dumping the physical memory, then the next file was SystemRoot\System32\Config\DEFAULT Windows XP loading screen showed, then another Auto Reboot

Then another dumping physical memory with another file SystemRoot\System32\Config\Security

After this (about 30 minutes or so) I gave up, and just gave up.

I tried booting into Safe Mode, as well as Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and none worked. It resulted in more Registry File Failures, dumping memory to disk crap. So, as it is now, I am unable to boot into Windows at all...and Im kinda lost here.

What could be causing this? and how can I stop it, or fix it?

2. zmaster

zmaster

Try this LINK hopefully someone more advanced will be able to help you out with it.

3. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

thank you. I'll try that out when I get home. 1 question though, how do i know if my WIndows XP Home is OEM installed? The computer was purchased from some vendor on pricewatch.com a few years ago (cyberpower or something). And, it came with a "Recovery Disk". Would this be considered OEM?

Also, I know I have a backed up registry from maybe 2-3 weeks ago that SpyBot S&D created when I last scanned and fixed problems with it. How would I get access to the registry backup that Spybot created? And would that backup work? Im not sure how Spybot backs up, if it did a whole registry backup, or just a partial backup of what it fixed.

4. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

hmm. I tried the steps at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=307545 I got all the way through typing in all those commands, and exit'ed and it rebooted, but it just does an endless loop of reboots. 1 time, I actually got the blue screen again, but it flashed by pretty fast, so I dont know what it was trying to tell me. Any other ideas? I got to the choose safe mode menu, chose Safe Mode (regular, not the command prompt one), and i saw the Windows XP Flash screen scroll by a few times (i think the green loading bars scrolled by 2 times, pretty fast). And then the computer rebooted itself again.

Any other ideas? :( Perhaps, could I try accessing the registry backup that Spybot S&D saved a few weeks ago? How would I access this backup and execute it? Im guessing I would need to access it through the Recovery Console but I want to be sure first, before i go doing it.

Thanks for the help

5. zmaster

zmaster

i have no idea how to find out if your xp is OEM or retail. You said that you got the computer a few years ago. So surely it didn't come with XP on it. What version of windows came on the computer when you first got it? The recovery disk tends to make me think it is OEM but only OEM to whatever version of windows was installed on it. Not sure if you can run the spybot backup from a command prompt. I'll get back to you on that one

6. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

it came shipped with XP Home on it. hehe.

7. zmaster

zmaster

have you tried using the recover disk? what happens when you put it in the cd drive and boot your pc? i still haven't heard back on whether you can run the spybot backup from a command prompt.

8. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

I put the recovery disk (CD) in the drive, changed the boot order to boot the CD first, and it just gives the generic Windows XP Setup screen

Press R to goto Recovery Console
    Press Enter to Setup Windows
    Press some other key to exit (I think).

9. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

well, i gave up :p i tried using cd command through the recovery console to get to the .reg file SPyBot saved but i couldnt get access to it so yea, it's now running the format :( Bye bye 5k mp3s (approximately 35GB worth :X)

10. zmaster

zmaster

sorry to hear :( good luck with the install

11. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

Wellllll.....I've let the system run through the NTFS Format a few times now, and have gotten different results.

It went through the format no problem, but when it goes to copying files, at 87% or something, I start getting cannot copy file errors, the files it cannot copy are migapp.inf , migisol.exe , mouclass.sys , migism.inf , and kbdclass.sys

1 of the formatting tries, I got the bluescreen saying to try CHKDSK /F and it listed
    STOP:0x0000007B (0xF7C46640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

But, in another format try, it got through that step, and to the Setting up windows screen(s). I wasn't attending the computer, but when I came home and saw it, 1 time it said Windows got an error and had to be shutdown or some crap, and the minutes remaining was like 37 minutes or so.

And then today while I was at school, I came home to more errors, I think it was at 36 minutes left or something. These following errors showed in a dialog box of there own, and the only option was a "Close" button at the bottom right corner of the dialog box, which when pressed, restarted my computer.
    Also, before this, I received an odd error in DOS something about "load couldnt <some words> DLL to kernel" I couldnt remember the whole phrase though. Im not sure if this is at all related to these other errors or not.

12. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon

Hi,
    One probability is that the hard disk is not working properly, maybe bad cable, came loose, also maybe it has developed bad sectors to which it can't read or write properly, since all of these errors occur during a phase of Setup that's dealing with the hard drive...

- During formatting, if you choose NTFS (not quick) and it encounters a bad sector, so it crashes and suggest you to do a CHKDSK....
    - If you chose NTFS (quicK), it will not detect the error since in quick mode it doesn't go over the entire hard drive area and hence doesn't encounter the bad sector and passes the formatting phase (it just writes a new Master File Table)
    - So, it fails again at different phases when the files are actually being written to the hard drive. Probably, you need to run CHKDSK as suggested....

- Here's what to do...

- Boot with your XP CD, when the generic blue "Welcome to Setup" message appears, press R to enter the recovery console.

- If it prompts you to select your Windows installation select by typing its number and press ENTER, if the administrator password is blank, then press ENTER, otherwise type it.

- At the command prompt type: CHKDSK /P /R and press ENTER....

Repeat this for each partition you have on your hard drive....

NOTE: This WILL take a while, (it should take a while since you are basically telling Windows to read the entire hard disk (entire area) and look for bad sectors and once found, flag them so that Windows or any other program doesn't write data to these sectors so the errors don't occur again), so once you have finished this process, reboot and run Setup again.

NOTE: If you get the same errors again. Then it may be a cable problem or a controller problem on the motherboard. If such is the case. Remove the drive from your PC and test in another person's PC and CHKDSK it from there, then try to re-run setup again...

Also, you can try to download specific hard drive diagnostic software from your hard drive's manufacturer (eg: Seagate provides a SeaTools program, WD provides a DataLifeGuard program, etc....) and use it on someone else's computer by configuring your drive as a slave to his drive, also instructions for that are on manufacturer's website....

If still you get errors then, the hard disk may not be the problem....(but I think it or the motherboard is causing the problem, since we've already ruled out the RAM)

Hope that helps...

13. zmaster

zmaster

yeah a bad hdd it is sounding like. I had a looksy on the net. Just a question outta the blue. Are you running more then one cd/rw/dvd drive?

14. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

The few times I have attempted format, I didnt choose the (Quick) Format. Well, I did choose the Quick format once, but yea, it didnt fix anything. I also tried CHKDSK from the Recovery Console and it said my drive looked fine? Weird...lol. hmm. Ill try the CHKDSK /P /R command, when this format gets done. I woke up and my screen was blue but nothing was on the screen, so i think something locked up. But when it's done ill try the CHKDSK command with those parameters.

As far as
    yes I am. I got a CD-RW drive, and a DVD-ROM drive both connected.

15. r00ted

r00ted Thread Starter

damnit......I tried the CHKDSK /P /R and it just told me there are one or more unrecoverable errors.....any more ideas? :X Im stumped.....I booted into Recovery console and tried doing a FORMAT C: from within there as well, but there seems to be 3 files, that don't want to copy to the hard drive, and then the Setup fails. I don't understand this, since I've gotten into the setup a few times already, but it fails at 37 more minutes until complete. lol.

BTW, I talked to my brother, and he said there's a way to remove the partitions or something, and then do something and Windows will block off the messed up clusters so files can't be stored there or something. How do I go about doing this? And would this solve my problem?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice