1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Home Edition / Administrator Account

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rikku, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

Where is this account? I was installing some program the other day and it asked me to login as Administrator and put in the password. HA! :mad: To my surprise, there was no Administrator account listed on the machine and hence, no password (that I know of) I tried blank, but it wouldn't let me...

So I went to the Users control panel and tried to Create an administrator account. It said that Account Administrator already exists.

So I turned off Fast User Switching and went back to XP's normal login screen that asks for a password. I tried to login as Administrator but couldn't. It just wouldn't let me.

I think something funny is going on because I have XP Home, but this is really wierd. Any info would be appreciated! :)

2. Dan O

Dan O

XP automatically creates an Administrator account but it is not displayed when using the Welcome Signon screen. You can re-enable the Welcome Signon and access the Administrator account by depressing Alt+Ctrl+Del. The profile for all accounts are located in the folder C:\Documents and Settings.

Getting back to the root of the issue about being logged on as Administrator to install an application, mostly you are an Administrator. Go to User Account within the Control Panel and check your status. There are Computer Administrator and Limit Account. So you can mostly go ahead and install the application safely.

3. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

I don't know, Dan...

I can't find a TRACE of an Administrator account on my computer. Under Documents and Settings there are the following Profiles:
    All Users, 'me', Default User, Local Service, Network Service, 'another person in my apt'. No Admin..

When I re-enable the normal XP login screen, I cannot login as Administrator....

As 'me', I am in the Administrator's group. However, the program that I wanted to install had HARDCODED as the username : 'Administrator' and I was stuck because I didn't know the password. Blank didn't work.

Let me poke around more , but this xp home is a crazy mess!

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Using Windows XP Home you can loggin as the Admin only in the "Safe Mode". All accounts by default are Admin when set up, and then any Admin user can change any other account to a limited user.

5. Dan O

Dan O

Interesting. I was using Computer Manager today and I noticed it shows all users and groups. Have you tried it? I use XP Pro not Windows XP Home so I am not sure if you have it or what it will show.

6. mferrier73

mferrier73

7. Rikku

Rikku Thread Starter

mferrier,

that's *exactly* what I was looking for :) Thank you so much! I knew they must of hid the little sucker away somewhere but I just couldn't find it.

phew, i never imagined i'd have to regedit my system to be able to get to the administrator account.... :rolleyes:

thanks!

8. davemanroe

davemanroe

Restart your PC, and hold down F8. this should bring a menu up. select 'safe-mode'. when the select user screen appears, an administrator account should be there.
    hope this helps.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice