1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows XP Home edition- Page cannot be displayed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xfile47, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

does anyone no why, everytime I go to a web page, ( it does not matter what it is) there are always some little boxes saying page cannot be displayed. I can get to the web pages no problem, and my computer is running good it just bugs me cause I can't remember that ever happening before SP2 was downloaded, it doesn't bother anything that I am aware of but why would that be on every page, some pages have one box somewhere and some have 2 or 3 different places they always say page cannot be displayed, (like I said I can get to any of the pages but would like to know why all of a sudden every page displays that somewhere?

2. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about here...
    If you mean that many web pages show a small frame or image that is "this can not be displayed", its because something is blocking what would be displayed there.
    At my house, we have a dns server in the livingroom that blocks access to doubleclick and most other ad-servers. Anything that would be an inline advertizement shows up as a little "page can't be displayed" box.

SP2 may be blocking the scripts that create the images/frames/ads that "can't be displayed"

Try browsing with FireFox...

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

so it is just something that would be an advertizment but has been blocked by something so it shows page cannot be displayed, thats ok, it never seems like it would be anything I would be interested in, I was just wondering why they were like that,

4. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Well, I don't know for sure that it is ads in your case. We specificaly block ads at my house.

If you want to check into it, try lowering the security settings on your browser and firewall. This may allow these items to display.... Of course, I advise caution with this. :)

5. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Well thats another problem, Please read my other threads, there are 2 of them, 1 is regarding the firewall and I think the other one is two, Problems,problems, problems, I would sure appreciate it if you would take a look at them

6. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

Looked at your other post, but I'm not sure about the .net update. sorry...

What happens to the "can't be displayed" parts if you browse with another browser, like firefox?

7. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I din't try it yet, how do I get firefox up and runniing? and will it make a difference if I am connected to another computer in a home network if I try firefox?

8. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

<i>I din't try it yet, how do I get firefox up and runniing? </i>
    www.mozilla.org

Well, it will help determine what is blocking those items. If you are at another computer on your lan, and they show up, its something local to your computer (ie, not your network/router/dns/etc). If they show up in firefox on your local machine, then its your IE settings that are blocking. If they still can't be displayed in firefox, then its something (likely the firewall or maybee adbusters or something) on your machine thats blocking.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice