1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Home Edition SP2 Update, monitor is messed up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Guyasodo1968, Aug 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guyasodo1968

Guyasodo1968 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.20GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 510 Mb
    Graphics Card:
    Hard Drives: C: 55 GB (50 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corporation, 07W080
    Antivirus: None

Hello, this is a fresh install from my old fashioned computer. Monitor is perfect when it goes to Windows XP Start up screen. Then, it gets messed up when it goes to the desktop. I am trying to get it ready to connect to the internet. The screen must be smaller for all my programs to install, as I can't get to buttons, like, Next, Continue or cancel. It says that it is set @ 640X480 pixels & the slider won't budge. Color quality says Lowest (4 bit). That is the only option. Yes, I have uninstalled the VGA in Device Manager & the IDE ATA/Atapi controllers, rebooted everything is back & there are 4 yellow question marks. Other devices - Ethernet Controller/Multimedia Audio Controller/Video Controller (VGA Compatible). I installed SP3 and it still is messed up. I also downloaded the .NET 3.5 as one of my programs needed it & the Windows Installer. What am I doing wrong? I am using this dinosaur as I have a card in the computer that can record via Yellow/red/white cords, is that composite? Thank you in advance. Monitor.JPG

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have about a 14-year old Dell Dimension 2350 desktop.
    What's the exact "service tag" number and "Express service code" number on yours?

If you did a clean install Windows XP Home Edition, I strongly suggest you read THIS install and update guide.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Have you selected a monitor? I believe XP needs to know that your display is capable of doing better than 640x480 and 16 colors. Once your display adapter drivers are set, you should see an option for monitor.

4. Guyasodo1968

Hello, thank you for welcoming me. I am trying to do a step by step as suggested by flavallee. Yes, my monitor is cable of displaying correctly. I have used the monitor to play 1080p music videos with MPC-HC and it worked just fine. The computer I am on now, is an HP Envy 700-074. It is capable of running 2 monitors. I have it hooked up to my Smart TV & works perfectly. Shall I hook up my VGA monitor to my computer & find out info on the VGA, via right clicking on Desktop & choosing Graphics Property? I am running the latest Windows 10.

Attached Files:

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Guyasodo:

Please don't add your HP ENVY 700-074 desktop to the conversation and cause confusion with your Dell Dimension 2350 desktop that we're dealing with here.

You haven't answered my question in post #2, so we still haven't confirmed the identity of that Dell desktop and its hardware.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  6. Guyasodo1968

Good morning, flavallee. I gave up yesterday but am in the process of installing as per instructions on read THIS link you provided. My screen is perfect now. I also have audio & played a store bought CD & works beautiful. Thanks ferr the tip, you certainly are a Trusted Advisor. There are 54 files to install but, a lot of them are optional, like Printer & other programs I don't need. The answer to your question in post#2 is: Service Tag : 912QX21 and Express Service Code : 19656122329. Once again, still in the process of downloading & haven't connected to the internet yet, but I will. I will keep you posted on my progress.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You have THIS Dell Dimension 2350 desktop.
    It shipped in June 2003 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows XP Home Edition SP1 32-bit and came with these specs:
    Intel Pentium IV 2.20 GHz processor
    128 MB DDR RAM
    60 GB ATA/100 hard drive

According to your log in post #1, the amount of RAM in yours has been increased to 512 MB.
    It supports up to 1 GB(1024 MB), so you might consider maxing it out so it'll have more speed and snappiness.

My Windows XP install and update guide should be very helpful to you.

These are the drivers for the chipset and graphics and audio devices that you need for that desktop:
    chipset
    graphics
    audio
    I'm not sure which Broadcom ethernet device it has, but we can determine that easily enough.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice