windows xp home edition sp3 BSoD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

XPUser1991

my grandfather turned on his computer this morning only to find that it won't boot, he has a dell dimension 8300,
STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file): \systemroot\system32\config\software
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.
i've tried Last Known Good Configuration, but that doesn't work either, and i can't boot into safe mode. can i simply replace "\systemroot\system\config\software"?

Is the primary hard drive being recognized? Go to start-up BIOS and take a look. Sometimes data and power connections get loose.

XPUser1991

yes the computer is recognizing the drive, i get the boot menu for xp, but none of the options work (EG: safe mode, Last known good configuration, etc, etc.) i tried following microsoft KB article KB307545, i created a file called regcopy1.txt with
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak (recovery console says that this file can't be copied, and this is the file i'm having problems about.)
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default
is there a way that i can copy the "\systemroot\system32\config\software" file from another installation of winxp home sp3?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online