1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Home Edition

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by AP2234, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AP2234

AP2234 Thread Starter

Hi guys new to this so bear with me if i don't get all the info right for the first time but my question is to you is.

1. I have a pentium processor running at 233 megahertz running win 98SE with 128 megahertz of RDRambus RAM and i am upgarding to 256 mgs and was wondering if buying windows xp home edition will help my computer in anyway possible or if its going to be a waste of my time. I don't know what power supply i am running but my system is a dell optiplex GN+ series. with USB in the back and an onboard Ethernet deal. If you can help me thats great and if not could you refer me to someone who would be able to help me in this matter thanks. P.S. Could i put windows 2000 on here and also this is a personal computer which is not part of a business.

2. norton850

norton850

Although I like XP a lot more than Win98SE as far as it "helping your computer" I'm not sure what you mean. A 233 MHz processor is the minimum required for XP. You may also find that some of your system components may not work with XP. You and your system might be happier with 98SE.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There isn't much to help such a slow computer's performance. Windows2000 or XP have even greater hardware requirements for good performance than Win98 does. Adding the memory you mentioned, as well as possible getting a 7200 rpm drive are about all you are going to be able to do to make much of a real difference. And on the 7200 rpm drive, make sure you computer's BIOS will recognize whatever size you get. It's tough to get a 20 gig one these days and I'm not even sure those old computers will recognize one.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    AP2234:

Forget about installing Windows XP in that computer, even if you increase the RAM to 256 MB, because the processor is just too slow. And like the others said, you'll likely run into a problem with hardware compatibility and with the BIOS being too old.

Windows 98SE will run fine with a 233 MHz processor and 256 MB of RAM - as long as you don't hobble it with a bloated startup load(too many unnecessary programs running in the background), memory-hungry programs, and fancy wallpaper and screensavers.

Read here.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

AP2234,

Hopefully after three of basically the same responses you have some information to make a decision.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Are you sure that you have Rambus memory in that "dinosaur" of yours? I couldn't even find it listed in the Crucial and Kingston sites. The MemoryX site has it listed and shows that it uses the older EDO modules. It does support up to 256 MB of RAM. You can look at the site here.

All that aside, stick with Windows 98SE in that computer.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326132

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice