1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp home edition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by flemingac, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flemingac

flemingac Thread Starter

How Do I Lock My Windows Xp Home Editon So That No One Else Can Access My Computer , Please?

2. Jackle75

Jackle75

Go to control panel, user account, and change the way users log on and off.

3. allheart55

allheart55

Welcome to TSG. As Jackie75 stated, Open control panel, click on "User Accounts" and select the option, "Create a New Account" Follow the prompts and select a password to open the user account. (This is based on having only one user account set up.)

4. 1101doc

1101doc

To be sure that no one can use your computer, you will need a password set for your own user account, any other accounts, and the overall ADMINISTRATOR account that is available from Safe Mode.

This latter password is vital, since someone could simply boot to Safe mode, enter the ADMINISTRATOR account, and from there modify the password that has been selected for any other account.

It will be best to set the passwords from Safe Mode.

Right after pressing the power button, begin tapping the F8 key of the keyboard about twice a second. (Not too fast, that can cause difficulties on some systems)

Soon you will be presented with a black screen with white writing. One line will be highlighted. Use the arrow up/down keys to move the highlighting to Safe Mode. Press the Enter key.

Some computers will ask which operating system you want to use. Mine does this even though I only have XP installed. If yours does, just press Enter again.

If this is your first time in Safe Mode, things will seem to be strange: Lots of white writing on the screen (drivers loading), and when it does finally get to the 'desktop' there is no wallpaper, and everything sorta looks like Win98. All normal.

You will be presented with a choice of your account and the ADMINISTRATOR account. Choose the ADMINISTRATOR account, and when asked if you want to work in Safe Mode or go to System Restore, choose YES. I want to work in safe Mode.

Now go to Start and then the Control Panel. Open User Accounts. Select the ADMINISTRATOR account, click "Change password, and enter the chosen password in both boxes.

It is vital that you save this password in a safe place! Do not save the password in your computer.

Now do the same for all other accounts on the list. I strongly suggest that you employ a different password for each account. From now on, you will need to enter the password to access all accounts. BUT. Nobody else will be able to use your computer unless you log them in.

Passwords should not be something that is easily guessed by those who know you. Not your pet's name or your birthday or anything like that. A very difficult password to break would be something like:
    "eight + 4 is more than 11."

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice