1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Home Product Code/Activation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by commander, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. commander

commander Thread Starter

Could someone explain how this works. I have built a new PC and have loaded my copy of XP on the new machine. It had to be activated and I did this on-line, no problem.

I know that activation is some sort of anti piracy thing, but my copy had already been activated - about 3 years ago - and it accepted the activation no problem. How does the system know I'm going to junk my old system? Same thing happened when I reloaded my copy of Office.

Peter

2. sportscrazy

sportscrazy

I don't think the Windows CD has a mutliple license therefore most likely blocking you from using the same activation code twice! I think you have to buy a new CD, but I may be wrong...You should wait for more responses. :)

3. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

If you make no changes to your computer that requires reactivation for 4 months (120 days exactly) then you are dropped from the list that monitors your activation status.

4. commander

commander Thread Starter

Does that apply to my copy of Office XP too? It's a couple of years now since I originally loaded it and activated it on my old machine.

Peter

5. coderitr

coderitr

Now this is just absurd. I upgraded the memory in my pc today from 256MB to 768MB and upon restart I got a message that the system had "changed significantly" and needed to be reactivated. No problem, I have a legal licensed copy of XP Home but making me reactivate just because I added a 512MB RAM stick? Ridiculous. (n)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

coderitr, that is absurd, I'll have to agree. :)

commander, I don't know how Office XP handles activation, but one would assume that it's similar to XP. Since you have a legal copy of Office XP, I'd try to activate it, and if it squawks, contact Microsoft.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/357973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice