1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Xp Home Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LRH, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LRH

LRH Thread Starter

when i bought my PC, i recieved a copy of Windows XP Home Edition [a gold disc] and i attatched my cd key to the side of the tower for my PC... ive come to format the PC, and i cant find the disc, yet i still have my CD Key...

i was wondering if its illegal, to use my brothers copy of XP Home Edition and use my CD Key?

or would i have to buy a completely new cd?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

CD Keys are not tied to physical disks. The only thing is is has to be the same type of disk I.E. A Windows XP Upgrade CD-Key will not work on a Windows XP Full Install CD. A Windows XP OEM CD-Key will not work on an Windows XP Upgrade CD and so fourth.

As far as legality I wouldn't think its that out of place considering you had originally paid for the media but some people may be a bit more of a stickler on the rules.

3. LRH

LRH Thread Starter

My brothers disc is exactly the same, its a gold windows XP disc, so im assuming that the CD Key will work for that disc as it did mine...

I dont want to use it if im going to get penalised for it though... do you think its a safe bet or shall i just buy a new cd?

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I say use it... you may have other opinions though.

5. norton850

norton850

My copy of XP is pre SP1 so if I need to do a clean install I use my son's SP2 copy. Both have been paid for. Two XP licenses two machines. Seems OK to me.

6. LRH

LRH Thread Starter

i thought it was ok too... but i just thought i would get everyone elses opinion first rather than going ahead and using it

Thanks guys

by the way, if anyone reads this and can find fault with what im doing please let me know.

Thanks x

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice