Windows XP Home Repair Installation Fails

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Smoothie

Hi all,

Due to several fundamental errors in my Windows installation, today I decided to make a repair install of my Windows XP Home installation. I booted into my Windows disc, did all the normal stuff, and it seemed to go fine. At the end of the text-based stuff, it gave me the instruction to reboot, having moved the files it needed to the HDD, I believe.

Anyway, the jist is that the text-based stuff seemed to go fine, I rebooted as instructed, and then did NOT click to boot from the CD (which, I believe, was the right choice). I let Windows load normally but... no GUI based stuff came up to finish off the repair installation, and consequently, what I've done seems to have had no effect whatsoever.

The disc is an original OEM product, not a recovery disc or anything, and it may be worth noting that it is labelled "XRMHOEM_EN"... could this be a sign that it wouldn't be recognised when trying to finish the installation?

Thanks in advance for any help, this is really bugging me.

-Smoothie

XRMHOEM_EN just signifies that its an OEM version of XP Home, SP1 revision.

The OEM version is no different to any full version, only the licensing rights differ (it must always be sold or disposed of with the hardware with which it was purchased, not separately and it cannot be transferred to another PC).

It sounds like you should do a clean install.

Smoothie

I appreciate your reply. However, I have a lot of sensitive data on here and no means of backup (I can't install a DVD burner until the OS is fixed), so a clean install would really have to be my last resort... any further suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

If the OS is damaged beyond repair, then your options become limited to installing a new HDD, with a clean copy of XP on it. Then slave your old HDD (either as a slave internally or via an external USB enclosure), set the permissions to allow access to the old data (XP by default will prbably deny access, but its a well covered subject with the solutions freely available from Microsoft).

If the hard drive had suffered a major malfunction (which is quite a regular occurrence, they are not everlasting or necessarily long life) you would have lost that data anyway.

Using the old HDD as a slave at least allows you to backup such "sensitive data" quickly and easily, so its not a bad way to go long term. I backup all critical data daily, having lost 4 hard drives in the last few years but no overall data loss.

Smoothie

Hi Kiwiguy, thanks for your continued help.

It has just come to my attention that when I try to run my Windows XP Home installation disc inside of Windows, I get the following error (please see image). I believe an option may be to remove SP2 then try the repair install again, and then reapply SP2.

BTW - Original Windows installation disc comes with SP1 integrated, no SP2.
Cheers,
Smoothie

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online