1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Xp home SP1-Sfc /Scannow Gateway didn't give a disk how can I use it?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xfile47, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I had a question. Helping a person awhile back and I am still trying to think of something.
    He has a Gateway computer and he said he doesn't have an XP home CD. I tried to run Sfc /scannow on his computer cause after cleaning I tnink he was missing a few or some dll files. Anyway it would run for just alttle bit and would need a dll file and would say to put in your XP disk. Like I said he hasn't got one, I told him to put in the recovery disk to see if that would do any good and he said it didn't. How would you point it toward something you need or could you and if so how. There has to be a way he could get the files back if gateway didn't give him a disk isnt there? just wondering, now that I am thinking about it ,,it was Windows XP home SP2 I was just wondering in case I run across it again or could help him.

2. Swiper

Swiper

have them search for an I386 folder ( it may be hidden )
    typical OEM installed will have the ' OS files " put on the hard disk somewhere for when its needed

I am not familiar with gateway computers so, i can not be certain

3. awalker0878

awalker0878 Removed by request

copy i386 directory to c:\windows
    start notepad paste
    --------------------------------------------start-------------------------------------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]
    "SourcePath"="C:\\Windows\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]
    "ServicePackSourcePath"="C:\\Windows\\"
    --------------------------------------------end----------------------------------------------------
    save as i386source.reg
    run i386source.reg

now sfc will run faster and no cd will ever be required

4. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

If your running the sfc /scannow and it comes up put cd in drive, how do you then point it to the i386 folder? is there something to click on and then type in the path?

I would love to be able to do it the way you say awalker but I don't have a clue how to do that, the copy and paste is no problem but the rest I haven't a clue. it would be really good to no for future reference is there a place that explains how to do that more step by step???

until then swiper is there a way to point it??

5. awalker0878

1. Step One: Insert Windows XP SETUP CD (or in your case recovery cd into cdrom drive)
    2. Step Two: Copy entire I386 Directory from the root of the CD-ROM drive to C:\WINDOWS (\I386 -> C:\WINDOWS\I386)
    3. Step Three: I have created the reg file with command pasted above, just add reg file information by double-clicking onto it
    4. Step Four: Reboot
    5. Step Five: Run sfc /scannow command from the run box now it should not prompt you for the Windows XP SETUP CD

Attached Files:

6. awalker0878

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html is good guide and explation of what I have done. But you be the judge of what guide is easier

7. Swiper

Swiper

Original poster does not have XP CD do this from
    alot of OEM computer companies provide you with restoring software disks
    (os + junk software installation) to restore system as it was the way you first purchased the machine

8. awalker0878

If his recovery cd uses an imageing product then you are *screwed*. But most OEM still provide you with a windows setup cd.

9. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Thanks a million awalker, I really appreciate it. Thanks swiper. Awalker I am going to do that, Thanks again. I will mark this solved and thanks again. Its really nice to have people help out and don't mind doing a little teaching.

10. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Just went to the site awalker and that is a great site, thanks again, you probably have no idea how many headaches you probably save people.

11. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Can you get the file of a different windows disk, I mean like someone else has one or I have one, can a guy copy the file off any disk that has it (the i386) and put it on a another disk and then copy it to his computer or does it have to be a disk that came with that computer??

12. awalker0878

yes aslong as it is the same type:

windows xp home retail != windows xp home corp
    windows xp home retail != windows xp home oem
    windows xp home != windows xp pro
    etc...

13. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Thanks

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Make CD from Recovery Disk may help you get a real XP disk. I think there's a way to generate it from the I386 folder too.

15. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Thank you John Will, that is an interesting page.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice