1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Home won't open!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sleepless100, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sleepless100

Sleepless100 Thread Starter

My son was home for the weekend and denies he did anything to my Northgate pc, but now Windows XP Home won't open!

It flashes SYNTAX, with the option to press TAB to show post screen or DELETE to enter set up.

If I do nothing, it goes to a screen apologizing that Windows did not start successfully. I then have the options to try:
    Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with networking
    Safe Mode with command prompt

With any of these options, it flashes a page of codes, then clicks off again.

It also has an option to "Go to the last safe configuration." But it only briefly flashes a blue Windows screen, before blinking off and returning to the SYNTAX screen.

If I press DELETE, I can enter set-up (which doesn't help me much because I don't know what I'm doing!)

As tempted as I am to start fiddling with it and trying to work it out on my own, I am afraid to lose my files.

Oh, and I tried calling the Northgate tech support 800 number, but it's now an advertisement for a party-line!!

Anyone willing to help a beginner?

Thanks,

-K

2. vicks

vicks

a few days ago, my daughter had a similar problem with her computer. (an HP) I was working on her puter, and did instant messaging with the service tech for HP. This is what the tech told us to do.
    Restart your Computer. At the Blue screen, start tapping the F1 key until the words "Entering Setup" appear at the bottom. The next screen is the BIOS setup utility.
    You will have no mouse control here, it's all keyboard navigation. Use the arrow keys towards the right-hand side of your keyboard to navigate through the screens as directed below. Once at the BIOS Setup Screen: Step 1: Press the F5 key. You will be presented with a screen that says LOAD DEFAULT VALUES? Answer YES. Step 2: Now press the F10 key and you will be prompted to save and exit. Yes should be highlighted so just press ENTER.
    It might work for you. GOOD LUCK

3. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin

Just so Sleepless100 doesn't get confused...it appears that in Sleepless100's case pressing Delete will enable access to the BIOS setup utility.

Not every PC uses the same key to enter BIOS.

I'm not sure but this may be the case also when it comes to loading the Default Values via the F5 key?:)

4. Sleepless100

Thanks Vicks and ilovedonna!

As simple as that sounds, I still have a question!:confused:

When the set-up screen comes up, I have a number of choices:

Standard CMOS Features
    Advanced BIOS Features
    Advanced Chipset Features
    Integrated Peripherals
    PnP/PCI Configurations
    Load Fail-Safe Defaults
    Load Optimized Defaults

Are you both saying that I should select "Load Fail-Safe Defaults"? Or do I need to choose something else on the list first, then load its default values?

Thanks for the help!

Duhhh... I feel sooo stupid!!

-K

5. Sleepless100

:eek:
    Oh nooooo!

I tried loading F/S Defaults, then F10.

After the SYNTAX screen, now it briefly shows a page with system info. At the bottom of the page it says, "Verifying DMI pool data..." before the apology screen (that I described above, that offers me the choices of trying to boot into safe mode or to go to an earlier good configuration.)

NOW, if I hit Safe Mode, it starts to list, ending at mup.sys.

If I choose Open Windows, a white band fills in, left to right, toward the bottom of my screen, then it freezes up!

If I try to configure to an earlier setting, I get only the white band again, before freezing.

Someone? ANYONE? Pleeeeease HELP ME!!!

-K

6. vicks

vicks

Sorry..... Hopefully someone with good experience will be able to help you!
    Will be following your thread with interest to see what you find that works.
    Vicks

7. Sleepless100

I'm a writer and I have at least 30 poems that will be lost if I can't fix this!

While the literary world will surely not suffer in my absence, I would hate to lose the work.

Please? :eek:

8. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin

If you're really worried about losing valuable work you could always disconnect your Hard Drive and connect it to a friends PC and transfer any valuable data to the friends PC until you sort out whats going on with yours...Sorry I can't assist you with your main prob...

9. Sleepless100

Thanks, ilovedonna, for the idea you've suggested (to try to save my work.) I really appreciate the help. As I've stated, I don't know much about computers. I guess I've been lucky up until now--in three years, this is my first real problem with it.

I've been out of town the past couple of days. I had really hoped I might find an idea or two posted here that I could try, that might actually get it up and running again. But I guess I'll have to find somewhere to take it in for repair instead. Well, as soon as I can, that is. :(

My thanks to you and Vicks though. I do appreciate your willingness to try to help me!

-K

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice