windows xp/ HP Scanjet 4400C problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Marye Heitzman

Just bought a new HP 760C computer. It runs windows XP. I also purchased a HP Scanjet 4400c at the same time. It says it is windows xp compatable and it came with version 3.12 software that says it is for Windows xp. After installing the scanner the computer won't boot up. It sticks on the HP Invent screen at the beginning. If I unhook the scanner usb cable then the computer boots on up. I tried both of these patches from HP:
SJ 658en.exe and
SJ 659en.exe
neither one fixed my problem.
The scanner scans ok but the buttons on the front don't work.
I figure this is driver problem, but can't find a driver on the HP site. Have not gotten any response from the HP site. It also makes it difficult, because this new computer is not connected to the internet. Please help!!!!!!!

crjdriver

Just wondering do you have anything else hooked up to a USB port? Are the USB ports showing up ok in device manager?
HP products are picky about how you install the software. It should have instructions in the scanner box. If you have followed everything and your USB ports show ok in device manager, take the scanner back and get one that is compatible with xp. You should not have to install patches etc to get new hardware to work. If it is advertised to work then it should.

Marye Heitzman

I have a usb mouse and a usb keyboard attached in the two usb ports in the back. The scanner is plugged in a usb port on the front. I tried switching them around but it didn't make any difference. The usb ports appear to be working ok according to the device driver and system tools.

After the computer boots up, have you tried connecting your scanner to the port and then going to your control panel and "Add new hardware" to see if the computer will recognize the scanner. It would also prompt you for the driver which would either be in the directory where the software is loaded or on the disk itself.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts