1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp/ HP Scanjet 4400C problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marye Heitzman, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marye Heitzman

Marye Heitzman Thread Starter

Just bought a new HP 760C computer. It runs windows XP. I also purchased a HP Scanjet 4400c at the same time. It says it is windows xp compatable and it came with version 3.12 software that says it is for Windows xp. After installing the scanner the computer won't boot up. It sticks on the HP Invent screen at the beginning. If I unhook the scanner usb cable then the computer boots on up. I tried both of these patches from HP:
    SJ 658en.exe and
    SJ 659en.exe
    neither one fixed my problem.
    The scanner scans ok but the buttons on the front don't work.
    I figure this is driver problem, but can't find a driver on the HP site. Have not gotten any response from the HP site. It also makes it difficult, because this new computer is not connected to the internet. Please help!!!!!!!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just wondering do you have anything else hooked up to a USB port? Are the USB ports showing up ok in device manager?
    HP products are picky about how you install the software. It should have instructions in the scanner box. If you have followed everything and your USB ports show ok in device manager, take the scanner back and get one that is compatible with xp. You should not have to install patches etc to get new hardware to work. If it is advertised to work then it should.

3. Whinyguy

Whinyguy

4. Marye Heitzman

That is the link I tried. Neither one worked.

5. Marye Heitzman

I have a usb mouse and a usb keyboard attached in the two usb ports in the back. The scanner is plugged in a usb port on the front. I tried switching them around but it didn't make any difference. The usb ports appear to be working ok according to the device driver and system tools.

6. Whinyguy

Whinyguy

After the computer boots up, have you tried connecting your scanner to the port and then going to your control panel and "Add new hardware" to see if the computer will recognize the scanner. It would also prompt you for the driver which would either be in the directory where the software is loaded or on the disk itself.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice