1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP install help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by velcroy, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. velcroy

velcroy Thread Starter

Hello we just built a new computer and were trying to install, we bought a Windows XP SP2 disc. And we popped it in every thing goes fine, it starts the Windows Setup. i choose the new harddrive to partition, it partitions and installs windows. the computer reboots and then... when its supposed to go to the Windows loading screen, it goes back to the Windows Setup, and asks if i want to install windows... I hit enter to install windows again, and it says that the hard-drive is already partitioned and windows is already installed on it. How do i fix this??? Its driving me crazy!!! lol.. Would me having onl 2 DVD Drives and no CD Drive be a problem?

Thanks

2. snooker

snooker

3. velcroy

velcroy Thread Starter

Well you say to format the harddrive as a FAT32, right? well it doesnt give me the option for FAT32 only NTSF.. IS this bad? And to answer your question before, whether i've formatted and all before. yes i have i went though all the steps you listed. I i partitioned my drive. Then asked me if i wanted to use NTSF or NTSF (quick) i chose NTSF, it took like 45 minutes for that finish, Then it did the Copying files from disc thing, then rebooted. once it rebooted it went back to the Windows Setup, like it did before. And it just keeps doing that... I have CD Rom as my first boot device, Hard disk as my second and removable as my third... is there something wrong here?

4. snooker

snooker

No NTSF is the way to go , Also when it goes to reboot don't touch your keyboard keys , it should load windows unless you have a hardware problem ( hard drive )

5. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I would say stick with NTFS, also when the PC reboots enter the BIOS and make sure the BIOS is set to boot from the hard drive.

6. velcroy

velcroy Thread Starter

err... I don't understand why this isnt working.... I'm dying here..... lol

7. velcroy

velcroy Thread Starter

ok so once it is done formating the hard-drive and reboots i need to enter the BIOS and change the First Boot from CD-Rom to hard-drive?

8. snooker

snooker

when its installing windows on the left side , do you see where its entering the final stage of the installation ?

9. prunejuice

prunejuice

After the initial setup, the Windows installation will ask to reboot. Pop the CD out and reboot.
    It will pobably ask you to re-insert the disk later, but you'll get past that annoying loop.

10. velcroy

velcroy Thread Starter

To Snooker: Well i'm not there yet... i'm reformating, And i'm at 45% so i'll let you know when i'm around 90 or something then i'll update with what you asked.

To Prune Juice: Ah ok... But... Normally when i try to start the computer with out the Disc in, ( I was after i formatted and installed XP the first time.) it gave me an error and told me to insert a Boot Disk or something, i'll tell you the exact error if it pops up again.

11. velcroy

velcroy Thread Starter

well.. its at 80 % now...

12. snooker

snooker

Well after it has formated ? It should start the installation process , notice the final stage

13. velcroy

velcroy Thread Starter

k, i'll let you know when that happens. It's at 91% atm

14. velcroy

velcroy Thread Starter

Alright it is done formatting and now it is installing.

15. velcroy

velcroy Thread Starter

It says "Setup is copying Files" and is at 11%

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice