1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Install messed up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DamienSynS, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DamienSynS

DamienSynS Thread Starter

Recently today I tried to reinstall windows xp home edition on my computer which already had windows xp home edition... dont ask. The installation failed to load a file so I just quit and restarted.

Anyways the problems were...
    - On start up I would have to choose between Windows xp home edition or Windows xp Setup
    - My desktop looks stretched out, scrolling takes forever and looks like it blinks kind of on the screen, and when I move any window it takes a long time and also kind of blinks on the screen while it moves.

I edited my boot.ini file so I fixed the start up problem. The only problem I have now is that my desktop background looks kinda messed up, you can see ripples and when I scroll it takes forever and quickly blinks, and when I move click and drag anything it runs slow and kind of blinks.

Any suggestions?

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Try installing again? If you don't need the data on the HD, hit "d" to delete the partition when you get to the partition table screen, create a new partition, and format with NTFS (not the quick way) If this fails again do it again with NTFS (quick format). Windows installation has ADD, if you leave it alone for too long it'll forget what it's supposed to be doing.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

4. DamienSynS

Well I have almost resolved this problem.
    This is a display adapter problem.
    I went to hardware and under display adapter, my nvidia geforce fx go5200 has an error message saying this device cannot start (code 10)

I uninstalled it and restarted, it reinstalled on start up but it still says cannot start :(

5. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

I'd still blow away the HD as this seemed to be your original plan earlier. It makes for a cleaner computer and the errors won't bother you for another week or so.

6. DamienSynS

I just did a full install of xp and I still have this problem!!! :( stupid slow scrolling and it kinda blinks too

7. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Try a different graphics card maybe.

8. DamienSynS

lol noo I cant afford a new graphics card... Before I reinstalled the OS completely, my display adapter said "cannot start (code 10)" now that I reinstalled I dont see display adaptor in hardware... :( I'm bummed out big time right now.

9. DamienSynS

I'm positive this is a driver problem so I am gonna repost somewhere else.

10. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Don't repost, ask a moderator to move the thread.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice