1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp install repair option missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ropin1, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ropin1

ropin1 Thread Starter

i am trying to install windows xp using the repair option on my pc but it does not show up. i get past the screen where you have to press f8 but i do not get the press R to repair option.
    is there any way i can create an xp installation disk with this option

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

A repair install - repairs the existing Xp installation - it is not a new, clean install of Xp.
    You will not find it after tapping F8.
    XP-Repair install.
    Insert the XP cd in the CD ROM Drive then switch on the computer.

You will receive the following message:

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
    To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
    To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    DO NOT at this point select R.... DO NOT SELECT R

Select ENTER
    ----------------
    On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen
    Press F8 to agree to the license agreement

Select current installation of Windows XP.and then

Press R to repair Windows XP.
    -----------------------------------
    Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to repair Windows.
    After you repair Windows , you may have to reactivate your copy of Windows XP
    And install all Windows updates.

A repair install should leave all of your programs and data in place.

Read all info and warnings - as a Repair Install does not always work.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

3. ropin1

ropin1 Thread Starter

i know that and that is what i have tried. i get past the screen where you have to press F8 but i dont get the option to repair but just to delete the partition and install windows xp fresh.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If the repair option is not available, it is due to corrupt or missing registry hives. You have the option to install from scratch or to restore a previous copy of the registry from a System Restore point.

Directions for Recovering Registry Hives From an XP Restore Point
    How to Restore the Registry Hives From a System Restore Snapshot in Windows XP

It is easiest to do it from a bootable operating system like:

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

5. ropin1

ropin1 Thread Starter

i cant get into system recovery because my pc starts up with the disk read error screen. is there any way i can get my data off of the hardrive before i reinstall windows

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

With the bootable CD/USB stick I linked. That will get you to your registry hives, too, if you want to try a repair.

Did you read the previous post?

7. ropin1

ropin1 Thread Starter

yes i did. i have a copy of ultimate boot cd. is there a way i can use that to try and fix the problem im facing. i get the error message disk read error please restart. is there any way i can fix this.

the disk read error problem only came after i tried to fix an earlier problem with the hal.dll file using a guide on the internet but it just made things worse.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

That probably means that the drive is failing, as they all will. Nothing is likely going to fix it. You should concentrate on getting your files if you want to save some of them.

Use a boot CD and transfer them to a USB stick, CD/DVD, or online storage site, or even to another machine on the network.

9. ropin1

ropin1 Thread Starter

ok thanks for your help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice