1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Xp Install was interupted now computer will not boot past bios

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ender78, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ender78

Ender78 Thread Starter

HI,
    I was trying to do a clean install of XP onto my desktop but the installation was interrupted when it couldn't find a file it needed and now my computer will not load past bios. I cannot even get into Bios to change any settings.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

There's not a lot in a failed XP instakllation that can have such a catastrophic effect as this. Remove the CD from the drive, disconnect the power cable for a minute and try the power on switch again. If it starts, it will fail to find an OS so close it as instructed and put the CD back in.

I suggest you clean the disk first by gently, and with a finger only, rubbing a small amount of toothpase over it then taking that off with some lint or other soft cloth and DEFINITELY NOT any wood based paper materials.

3. Ender78

Ender78 Thread Starter

I just tried that... let me explain a bit more about the computer
    it sat around in a static free bag for the better part of 3 years. I was trying to a clean reinstall windows xp because it kept getting the error saying that it could not create a required installation folder when I tried to install windows 7. As best as I can remember, 4.2 ghz dual core, Asus M2N-Sli delux Mobo... 4 gbs of ram

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

It's possible a residual trace of a failed W7 installation has caused this then. The quick way out of this would be to slave that hard disk into another machine and format it completely, takibng out the Master Boot Record.

If it had a life before three years in solitary, it may not be W7 compatible in terms if hardware drivers so it's best to stick to the XP route.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice