Windows XP Install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jsearch

Hello All,
I want to install Windows XP on my PC. I bought the full version because I want to legitimately have my own copy on my PC, and want to copy over "my" current version of windows 98. ( I do not have access to the windows 98 discs anymore. )
To do this I think I will have to choose the NEW INSTALL option. Problem is that this will delete my hard-drive, and I don't have a CD burner to back everything up. There is too much info to use disks as a back-up.
Anyone have any ideas as to what I should do???
What would happen if I chose the UPGRADE option, even though I have the full version disc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
J

Max19

Account Disabled
First, you need to back up your data. You can use floppies if that's all you have, but it might take many of them, and it could be a long and complicated process especially if you have single files larger than 1.44MB.

I suggest you purchase a backup-type device. Zip drives, Jazz drives, tape drives, CD-RW drives, etc. Get something to back up your data with. You need this regardless of whether or not you're upgrading your operating system. Of course, if you don't store anything of value on your computer, don't bother backing up. If your data is important, you MUST back it up or eventually you WILL lose some or all of it.

The best way to "upgrade" to a new OS is to format your drive and reinstall Windows XP without anything else on the computer. According to PC World magazine, you can perform a full, new installation with just the upgrade version of XP. The full version is only for people who do not own an upgradable version of Windows.

jsearch

Max19,
Thanks for your response. I will buy something to properly back-up my data. That is great advice. I do back-up a few very important files, but I would hate to lose even those of lesser importance.
I have Windows 98 on my computer, but I do not own that copy. So that is why I want to install my own full version.
Also, how do you go about formatting your hard drive?
Thanks again for your help,
J

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online