Windows XP Installation: Does Not Find Harddrive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NoMoreFaith

Hi,
I'm at my wits end here, I've formatted one of our computers, a process I've done tons of times on various PC's but this one is giving me hell.
Everytime I install from the bootable CD, it just refuses to accept that I have a harddrive. The harddrive is Seagate 60Gb IDE, not SCSI, SATA or requires RAID drivers.
I've tried reformatting with FAT32, NTSC, or leaving it unformatted, and the damn disk refuses to believe I have a harddrive. I've tried switching from Primary Master to Cable Select.
I can access and use the disc just fine in DOS mode, partitionmagic does everything asked of it to the harddrive. Its only the windows cd that doesn't see the drive.
I've tried other harddrives as well(had a spare working tiny 3.2Gb drive lying about) and the same problem with them as well. I've also tried switching the harddrive cable with a different one.

System Specs
-------------

AMD Athlon XP 1500
MSI Socket A 462 Duron/Athlon Motherboard MS-6378
512Mb SDRAM
1x Harddrive (60Gb Seagate)
1x Combo Drive(DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

This is driving me nuts.

Does your bios recognise the drive ?

You may need to reset it in the bios if it is not recognised.

Edit: I just re-read your post and noticed you can access it in dos, so the bios must recognise it already.

NoMoreFaith

Hmm, seems to be stumping not just me then.

Update: I chucked the harddrive from this computer into the borked computer, and starts loading up windows until it gets to AGP440, where it bluescreens, so I'm assuming thats just a driver incompatability causing that.
Tried the other computers harddrive in THIS computer, and exactly the same thing occurs, Windows XP can't see the harddrive. So I guess it must be the harddrive thats causing problems with XP, even thou it works absolutely fine in DOS. The harddrive is Seagate ST360020A 60Gb IDE drive, does anybody know of any problems with this drive and windows? Would a firmware update help, and where do I get the firmware from(Firmware on HD is at 3.34, I think the latest is 3.39)

NoMoreFaith

Finally tried Seagate's Discwizard, and followed the instructions for a XP install. Followed instructions, booted install CD, setup still can't find any harddrives installed!!

ARGH!!!!!

Somethings gonna get kicked soon... doesn't ANYBODY have any ideas.

If the drive is seen from DOS, why not try starting the setup from DOS by booting from a startup floppy and running i/386/winnt from the CD.

NoMoreFaith

Hi, I gave that a try elvandil, and seemed ok, installed the files, then rebooted, it then went through the normal install from the Harddrive instead of CD, then bluescreen of death. Windows cannot continue and had to stop to prevent damage to the computer. Did this twice with the same result.

On the plus side... at least its a different error.... :\

LOL. I guess that's "progress". What was the error (if any information was offered)? Did you remove the present partitions and create new ones during that part of setup (if you got that far)?

Do you have the 80-conductor UDMA cable? Is UDMA enabled in the BIOS (as well as LBA---it might be a good idea to set the drives to autodetect in the BIOS if they are not set that way already)?

Faulty memory can give strange error messages, the same one every time and sometimes seemingly random errors. Besides checking that the memory sticks are firmly seated, a memory test is fairly easy just to eliminate that possibility:

www.memtest86.com

Double-check the jumper settings. Some drives have a different setting depending whether there is a slave on the same cable or not.

NoMoreFaith

Right, I'm back :)
Drive is already set to autodetect, I've run memtest86 without any errors appearing. I've double checked the jumper settings and is set to Master(no slave present). I've also tried switching the IDE cable round.
Tried the working harddrive from the other computer again, and the same error messages are coming up.
"The problem seems to be caused by the following file: partmgr.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"

This error seems to turn up if I have created a partition to install XP onto(in this case 40Gb into 2 20Gb partitions). If its left as a single partition(FAT32 since I can't seem to get partition magic to allocate a drive letter when formatting NTSC) then we'll get the message "setup did not find any hard disc drives installed on your computer".

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online