Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP Installation Problem

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
I used to have no problem using my windows xp installation cd 32 bit on my presario R3000 laptop, but now I am getting the messages:
1 Apoint exe - Bad Image
The application Dll .C:\windows\system.32\vxdtf DLL is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.
And
2 Error
DLL could not be found
And I can not use Maxthon 5.8.3.2000 at all. the only website I can use is Tech Support Guy.
I appreciate any informaton about this problem, please.

#2 ·
I used to have no problem using my windows xp installation cd 32 bit on my presario R3000 laptop, but now I am getting the messages:
1 Apoint exe - Bad Image
The application Dll .C:\windows\system.32\vxdtf DLL is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.
And
2 Error
DLL could not be found
And I can not use Maxthon 5.8.3.2000 at all. the only website I can use is Tech Support Guy.
I appreciate any informaton about this problem, please.
I would recommend that you consider upgrading Windows since Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft.
However, you can see the following website for guidance on Windows XP repair.
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-perform-a-windows-xp-repair-install-2624915

#4 ·
I installed mypal 29.2.1 easily, but youtube almost did not work at all.
i am still interested in installing a linux os but my prsario r3000 laptop does not have a choice for booting from usb first.
Even with the mexthon version I have I have seen free linux os downloads. Can I try to install A linux directly from my presario laptop?

#6 ·
Hi dragster1981, to check if your Laptop can boot from USB:
Insert any working USB Flash Drive in your USB Port while the PC is ON, if the USB works your PC will detect it, remember the USB brand name (Kingston, Toshiba...)
Restart PC and go in BIOS: Boot > Hard Disk Drives > 1st Drive > USB, if you can find your USB brand name here - it means your Laptop can boot from USB. ("Hard Disk Drives" will not show if USB is not inserted)
That is how it works on my Laptop, maybe for you it will be slightly different, but it should be something similar.

#7 ·
I have downloaded linux mint 19.2 cinnamon 32 bit.iso directly from windows xp sp3 laptop and i have the link in the mypal library page. but i do not know if it is possible to instal this OS in my same laptop. i think i am asked to open it with express burner, which i think i have installed in a data dvd or open it with express zip or open with anothe application or browser.
If I have to open it with express zip, can it be downloaded for free?.
I appreciate any help for a linux installation in my laptop with windows xp 32 bit sp3.

#9 ·
I NEVER advise installing linux on any computer before testing it.
You might discover that the iso you've downloaded doesn't like some of the hardware in your laptop. What happens if you have no audio or the only video that loads is a generic VGA driver? How do you connect to the internet? It might not identify your wifi chip.

#11 ·
1. Download this to a working Windows computer.
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
Run the exe and have the USB stick in a working computer.
2. You can skip step 1 in the universal installer and go to step 2, point the installer to the ISO you have downloaded.
3. Select the correct drive letter of the USB stick you have plugged in. Double and triple check that the letter is correct before you proceed any further.
4. You can select persistence. That means the stick will set aside storage space so that any changes you make (like browser bookmarks) will be saved to the USB stick. I usually set aside about 2048 MB (this is about 2 GB). It doesn't have to be exact because it is hard with the sliding bar.
5. Be patient while the ISO "writes" to the stick. At times it might appear that it has stalled; it hasn't. Just give it time.
6. After the ISO is written, it will mention that it is creating the persistence section. Again, be patient.

After it says it is finished, you can remove the stick, put it into the non-working XP and boot from it.

#13 ·
Liz's advise is very good; try the linux distro first. That is a very old laptop and as such modern linux distros are most likely not going to work well. There are linux distros that are designed for obsolete hardware; either puppy or lubuntu would probably work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.