1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP - Installing SP3 (An internal error occurred)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RobertHamilton, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RobertHamilton

RobertHamilton Thread Starter

Hi,
    I've recently put together an old computer using parts from 2 similar machines. The specs are..
    Mobo: GA-K8VM800M
    CPU: AMD Sempron 2800+ - o/ced to 2ghz tonight.
    HDD: Master - Seagate, Slave - Maxtor both 70gb
    Ram: 256 + 512 @ 400
    Onboard VGA..
    Standard 250V PSU

Okay so, i've been trying all night to install SP3 on this thing but every time I get this error "An Internal Error Occurred" and it's driving me crazy.:eek:

I installed a fresh Windows XP SP2 on it and uninstalled the few updates I did through windows updates. I've cleaned the registry. I've done everything it says to do here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949384.
    I've tried installing it from the Windows updates page, i've tried installing it through Automatic updates and i've even downloaded the full SP3 Package (also tried this in safe-mode). I've read every freaking forum about this error and took their advice. Nothing works

Here's the last lines of the svcpack.log: (You can download the whole log here)
    ('
    140.282: Trying CheckVLKForBlock again
    141.141: Error: CheckVLKForBlock failed
    141.141: Inventory complete: ReturnStatus=536741199, 98453 ticks
    141.157: Num Ticks for invent : 98469
    148.391: UnRegisterSpuninstForRecovery, failed to delete SpRecoverCmdLine value, error 0x2
    148.391: DoInstallation: Failed to unregistering spuninst.exe for recovery.
    148.422: An internal error occurred.
    318.782: Message displayed to the user: An internal error occurred.
    318.782: User Input: OK
    318.782: Service Pack 3 installation did not complete.
    320.422: Message displayed to the user: Service Pack 3 installation did not complete.
    320.422: User Input: OK
    320.422: Update.exe extended error code = 0x1ffe054f
    320.422: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.
    ')
    Someone in another thread in another forum said that VLK probably stands for Volume Licensing Key but when I go to www.microsoft.com/genuine, the validation comes out as Successful.

There isn't much I haven't tried so if you can tell me what's wrong then you are God! :)

Thankyou for helping me.

2. Sponsor

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Have you tried installing it in safe mode using the SP3 full package?

Did you see this one?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949384

See "Resolution for Cause 3" for a fix, hopefully.

4. RobertHamilton

Yes and yes. I've done both those things :( Thanks for your reply though! Any other suggestions?

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I'm out of suggestions other than a repair install of XP, or a clean install.

6. RobertHamilton

Okay thanks. i'm going to try an "upgrade" install; over the top of the OS and see if that works..

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/864964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice