1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp + internet explorer = problems?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by calibretto, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. calibretto

calibretto Thread Starter

this may be in the wrong forum, and if so, then i apologize in advance. but my problems didn't start until i installed xp over this past weekend.

basically alot of stuff happened that i expected. some stuff wasn't compatible, such as my scanner software (it's oldskool... still runnin a win95!! software :D) and easy cd creator 4 software. but no big deal.

my big problem is my internet explorer. after about 2 days of having xp installed my internet explorer started doing this. it'll go to my homepage (yahoo.com) when i start it up all fine and dandy but then if i try to click anything or try to go to any other website (even search yahoo or click a link on yahoo) my browser closes itself. what's up w/ this? after i installed xp i cleaned my hard drive of a bunch of useless stuff and i thought maybe i deleted something i needed. so i used the nifty feature included in xp to restore my comp to a previous setting and went back to the day i installed xp. and that fixed the problem. but now (about 2 days later) it's doing it again. i don't understand.

i know it's not my internet connection. i'm running on a cable modem and netscape navigator and msn explorer work fine. but i hate them and prefer internet explorer over them both. any help will be appreciated and again, i apologize if i'm posting in the wrong forum. thanks!

calibretto

2. Dan O

Dan O

Strange problem. The only thing I could think of or find was from Windows Help, see below:

If you encounter problems that you cannot resolve, it is often beneficial to uninstall Internet Explorer and then reinstall it. This procedure replaces files that might have been damaged.

In Windows, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.

Notes:
    If you are using Windows XP, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
    If you upgraded to Internet Explorer 6, when you uninstall Internet Explorer 6, you will go back to the version of Internet Explorer that was on your computer before you upgraded.

3. calibretto

ok... that makes sense. just uninstall and then reinstall. so i go to start, control panel, etc... and my list of programs that i can uninstall does not include internet explorer. it's not on there as on option to uninstall. what do i do now?

calibretto

4. Dan O

Dan O

It's a Windows Component so you have to click the Add/Remove Windows Components icon and uncheck it.

5. calibretto

ok... so i did that. i clicked windows components and sure enough there's internet explorer. so i go about what i think is uninstalling it. then i re-download ie 6. when i try installing it, i get an error message telling me that there's already a newer version of ie6 on my system and setup cannot continue.

calibretto

6. mixx941

mixx941

Calibretto. I am having the same problem as you (see my posts here )

You can use the above link to read all the replies I got.

Also, I have contacted Microsoft about this problem (spent about 20 hours total on the phone) and now I am in the process of corresponding with a senior technican and research technician there.
    I hope this helped you, and if you find anything more about this, please post back in my post

Good Luck

-Mark

P.S. This problem goes back for me when I tried updating my IE 5.5 to IE 6 in Windows 98. This problem happened there also.

Also, if you could visit these links, and post back telling me if it closed or not (these are sites I am having problems with)

http://www.foxsports.com
    http://www.bestbuy.com

7. calibretto

well, i guess i'm glad to know it's not just me. i'm not the only one. i visited your links and, of course, it closed. anything i try to go to closes on me. it'll open my homepage of yahoo.com and then by simply clicking anything or hitting enter after typing a web address, the program closes. no error, no nothing.

knowing that even microsoft has no clue what to do about this problem isn't exactly reassuring, tho.

i'm going to try downloading and installing ie6 again and see if that helps. i'll post back later.

calibretto

8. Dan O

Dan O

9. Loki - Maker of

Loki - Maker of

I am experiencing the same problem.

The article that you linked to Dan, does not resolve the issue. I also experience a problem in Explorer when I try to scroll down my files...it shuts Explorer down.

A friend of mine who works at a technical support center told me that there are issues when you upgrade to WinXP. Apparently when you do a fresh install you don't get any problems. :mad:

I have talked with a few tech people about this, and the only thing that I can think of doing is re-install Win98 (the version I had before upgrading to WinXP). Sad but true.

I have been told that the problem is a corrupt Winsock file...I replaced the file...it didn't fix the problem.

I re-installed WinXP...didn't fix the problem. Un-installed IE and MSN and then re-installed...didn't fix the problem.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice