1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows xp IP address help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by weaponmaster69, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weaponmaster69

weaponmaster69 Thread Starter

ok I am trying to help my friend with her computer and with her wireless internet. It says that she needs to renew the IP address but it says it cant so we tried it manually with ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew. After I tried ipconfig/renew it says an error occured while renewing interface local area connection : Wsa startup cannnot function at this time because the underlying system it uses to provide network services is currently unavailable. I seriously cannot find out what to do any advice would be helpful.

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Wsa startup"?

Do you mean WSAStartup? If so, since it has to do with "sockets" I'd first try a WINSOCK repair. You can find automated ones for Windows prior to XP SP2.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice