Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows XP Isn't Installing... Plz Help

583 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kiwiguy 
#1 ·
The old hardd rive on my computer fried so i bought a new one... i put in a xp home disc so it would install but it doesn't go to the installation screen. If i press tab like the 1/2 second flash of info says it takes me to a screen to alter my hard drive settings where it won't allow me to select settings. Instead the screen goes black except for a single Under score... what do i do to get the installation running and if it can't tell me whats broken please.

#2 ·
You need to have the computer set to boot from the CD drive, where the XP CD is.

In order to get there you need to press the correct key at the correct time early in the boot process.

The key you need to press depends on the make and model of computer, but usually its one of DEL, F2, or similar. Usually the option is displayed very briefly at the BIOS screen.

Once into the BIOS, you need to set the boot priority to have it boot from the CD before the HDD.

Sometimes you also need a PS2 keyboard if you presently use a USB one, as the USB may not work while in the BIOS.

But giving us a clue here about the type of computer would be a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.