1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP just installed, screen goes blank during startup!!!???!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by los003, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. los003

los003 Thread Starter

I have just installed WindowsXP from a Gateway CD which I borrowed from my friend. I have a new WesternDigital 80 Gig IDE Harddrive WD800 NR. I formated it & tried to install WindowsXP on it. After the CD checked all my hardware & installed the WindowsXP installation software, the computer went to start up. Then I get a screen that says Starting WindowsXP, after about 3 seconds the screen goes blank. I can still here the Hardrive Spinning, but when I look at the bottom of my screen the little light is Orange??! (the little light I'm talking about is the one that turns green when the screen is on & turns orange when the screen is on but the computer is off) What do I do?? Could it be that the CD's Installation program can tell that the computer that I am trying to Install this on, is not from Gateway? I am really stuck, what should I do?

2. Sponsor

3. terryxp

terryxp

You cannot use the Gateway cd on any other system other than the one it came with...

terryxp

4. los003

los003 Thread Starter

even if it goes through the installation process completely?

5. stu37

stu37

you cannot copy xp that has already been installed once. that is new to prevent using over and over. if you want xp you have to buy one for that purpose

6. los003

los003 Thread Starter

but how would the CD know that?! That it was already used on another computer?

7. wedor

wedor

What does it matter? you are discussing the illegal use of an OS and as such it's a violation of board rules.

8. terryxp

terryxp

Gateway, HP, Dell, all use OEM operating system cd's, with system specific drivers, and OEM software, and as such can only be used with the system for which they came... period.

terryxp

9. los003

los003 Thread Starter

ok, so now I want to just go out and do it the right way. How much does Windows XP install software cost. And what do I need to find out, so that I don't get something that is not compatable again.?

10. wedor

wedor

XP home retails for $200, you would need to check the MS site for compatibility with your hardware and software.

11. los003

los003 Thread Starter

How about if I connect my hardrive to my friends computer & transfer the basic Windows xp files to my Harddrive, then Put it back into my Comp. Wouldn't that work? I think it should since I am not installing from the cd.?!

12. wedor

wedor

No, it won't, and it's still illegal.

13. terryxp

terryxp

14. wedor

wedor

And far more legal.

15. jameso321

jameso321

Use the VGA mode to boot your system, this will bypass whatver video drivers were on your friends XP cd....

Ken

16. los003

los003 Thread Starter

thanx ken. I guess I can do the from the BIOS Settings. Right? I let you know how it goes.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/84597