1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP keeps freezing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stuartelwell, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stuartelwell

stuartelwell Thread Starter

My computer keeps crashing on me. All of a sudden everything stops working and the screen just freezes. I cannot do anything with it except reset it. I use Windows Xp Home addition. I've tried safe mode and it still does it so I assume it's not a harware conflict. I've tried reinstalling the OS, but it's just the same even before I've added any software that might be causing it. My ISP is broadband, could that be causing it? Any help would be very gratefully received.

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

sounds like it is over heating.

3. stuartelwell

Thanks for the reply. Can it overheat very quickly, as it has frozen on me several time immediatly on boot up (sometimes even during boot up)? I neglected to mention that my computer is brand new and has been freezing from the first day I got it. I have returned it to the shop twice but they say thay cannot find anything wrong with it, and it does not freeze on them.

4. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

yes, if the heat sink isnt doing its job. when they work on it they usually have the side off.

could also be incompatible/bad ram.

5. stuartelwell

Sometimes my CPU doesn't start when I try to boot up my computer. It takes a few attempts before it makes the beep sound and starts working. Could my problem be the the CPU stopping working.

6. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

now that you say that check to see if mo bo is grounded properly and nothing from the case is touching it but the screws. to do this you need to remove it

7. EvileYe

EvileYe

Sounds more like a conflict somewhere, have a look in Device Manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks against any of your devices.

To open Device Manager, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager

8. stuartelwell

Thanks Guys.
    Firstly please forgive my ignorance but I don't know what a mo bo is.
    In device manager there IS a yellow exclamation mark next to PCI Modem. My modem is a Motorola (broadband).

9. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

motherboard

10. EvileYe

EvileYe

Try disabling the Modem and see if the problem persists.

To do this go back into Device manager and right click the modem and select disable.
    Alternatively you could un-install it and let windows find it again when you reboot.

11. stuartelwell

I have disabled my PCI modem but it's still doing it. In fact it froze twice within the first couple of minutes. I can still access the internet - is that normal? Also, it might be coincidence but it seems to freeze more often when my CD is working.

How will I know if hardware it not sitting properly, will it be loose?

12. EvileYe

EvileYe

Does it continue to freeze if you boot into Safe Mode ?
    To boot into Safe mode hit the f8 key repeatedly on startup.

13. stuartelwell

Yes, I have tried that. It does still freeze in safe mode.

14. EvileYe

EvileYe

Sorry I should have re-read your post about safe mode !

It seems very strange that the shop says it all checks out ok when obviously it isn't.

Can you try to re-seat your ram or if you have more than one stick then swap them around or try 1 at a time.

Not sure that your broadband modem would be causing it, might be worth disconnecting it and see if the problem still occurs.

15. mobo

mobo

How about ram. How many sticks do you have ? If more than one try removing one and always keep the first slot filled. If no joy then swap them in and out. How about drivers ? If you have a video card try updating the drivers for it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice