1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP keeps restarting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by I[Cant]Win, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. I[Cant]Win

I[Cant]Win Thread Starter

Okay, my computer has been great ever since i got it from Dell. nothing happens. i check for viruses once a week and spybot everyday. One day last week came and i scanned and shutdown. i turned it on the next day and my computer now malfunctions. it loads the windows thing for 2 seconds only then restarts. everytime it restarts, it asks me if i wanna boot normally, or last good configuration, safe mode, and all the works. i've tried them all and it just restarts after 2 seconds. maybe its xp? or even my BIOS, or my motherboard? cause i hear a weird noise inside, maybe hard-drive? who knows, can anyone help me please? i have 300 gigs worth of anime that i dont wanna lose....

2. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Hi

Does your machine not even restart in safe mode?

Do you see any flash of blue screen before the machine restarts ?

3. I[Cant]Win

my computer restarts EVEN in safemode. and there is not one blue screen that pops up. one of my friends said it could be a memory dump. but i have no idea what that means, i never got that before.

4. klink

klink

If you're out of ideas or other options... try to re-install your o/s..been there done that...it works 99.9% of the time,and you should NOT lose any of your personal stuff...I didn't.
    Put the cd into the cd/rom (manually) and fire that baby up.
    But if you have a hdd kickin' the bucket ..... you may be able to copy the info on to a new drive..been there done that too!
    Had an old hdd making some nasty noises..installed new as master ..old as slave..installed o/s...then copied info from old to new. worked great.
    Western digital has a neat little deal..Data lifeguard software that comes with the new drive....it will allow you to copy the entire contents of one drive to another..
    I used that when I changed hdd's from an old one to a new one ... but old one ran fine...just too small
    But... I never lost the ability to boot
    Hope this helps...good luck,
    Bob

5. I[Cant]Win

well, first imma try to insert my hard-drive into the computer im currently using since they are using the same bios and has everything exact as my other computer. if its having the same problem then ill conclude that its my os. if not then, can ill conclude that its a hardware/bios failure.

6. mike5532g

mike5532g

7. otoe1

otoe1

you may be havin problems with the loadin of the DMI pool, as well as your processer

8. I[Cant]Win

man, mike, i did the things on the link you gave me and followed their directions and now im all screwed up. it says NTDL or something not detected. wtf? man, imma just reformat.

9. rskopel

rskopel

I have had identical symtoms in my machine and have tried everything I could think of to get it going. To include a new HDD and complete install from scratch of XP Home (original problem was on XP Pro). After a successful load and close to full reinstallation (wireless network...) and full XP update, I was looking pretty good. I turned everything off and went to bed. When I came in from work tonight to finish the reconfiguration, the machine went right back to reboot after a couple seconds of the Windows XP splash screen. This is a completely different hard disk and OS (Home vs. Pro) and I have the exact problem. I am running on AMD and wonder if the problem has something to do with the CPU or bios. Any help would be appreciated.

10. rodeognome

rodeognome

rskopel, did you open up the case to check for signs of overheating ?
    overheating will cause a pc to bootup up then shut down all of a sudden.

11. rskopel

rskopel

Yes. I have even kept it open while trying out all my options (swapping out hard drives and cd/dvd drives). I've been in and out of these boxes since I had my 386 and this is, by far, the most aggrevating experience I have had to address.

12. manawizard

manawizard

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice