1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Lags on Loading Screen... Restarts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mooml, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mooml

mooml Thread Starter

Well I had trouble finding anyone else with this exact problem. I'll try explaining this the best I can.

Well when I start my computer, it sometimes goes to the last known configuration page. The one that looks like this:

[​IMG]

No matter which option I choose, when it gets to the Windows XP loading screen, it lags when the windows xp logo fades in, and then the computer restarts.

I did find a temporary way around this. When the computer starts up I hit F8 and i'm shown this screen:

[​IMG]

Then, if I choose my hard drive, the loading screen comes up, and everything works fine. I figured this may be a hard drive issue, so I ordered a new hard drive. (I needed one anyway)

My original HDD is a Western Digital 75GB Raptor, the new one i bought is a Western Digital 640GB, both SATA. I tried setting them both up on my computer so I could transfer over some important files, but when I booted the computer with both of them installed, the computer would lag on the windows xp loading screen no matter what I did.

So I took that out and now i'm in the same position I was before. Anyone have any advice?

2. Lance1

Lance1

Install your new drive and set the jumpers as master. Set the old drive as slave and Make sure it is disconnected. I assume you have your XP install CD? Make sure the CD/ROM Is set for first boot in the bios and install XP anew in the new drive. After the install shutdown the computer and connect the old drive and boot up the computer. Now you should be able to access the old drive and transfer your data to the new drive. Once done and confirmed that the data is transferred, you can delete, or format the old drive.

3. mooml

mooml Thread Starter

But does this mean that something is wrong with the old drive? Is reformatting it the best way to go? And they're SATA drives, so I won't have any master/slave settings, right?

And this is something I don't have much knowledge in. But would keeping the OS on the faster Raptor drive and all my files on the new drive be a better solution?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/800821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice