1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows XP Lags Why???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vbtester, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vbtester

vbtester Thread Starter

I am having the strangest problem with my computer. I am running Windows XP my computer is a fairly new computer Athlon XP 2600, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD. For some strange reason it repeatedly lags. It does not matter what programs are running, does not matter how many times I reboot my computer it always lags.

Allow me to clarify what I mean when I say it lags. It like it temporarily freezes up for 10 seconds or so. I cannot move the mouse, the keyboard does not work, nothing works for about 10 seconds, after which time it unlocks its self and continues to work as normal. And then a few minute later it lags again. I cannot figure out what the HE*L it is doing. I consider myself to be very competent with computers, I am 100% sure I do not have a virus or Trojan or Spyware, I have already eliminated those causes. I have all the latest patches from MS, yet the computer freezes up all the time, then unlocks its self, what could be happening here?

Now I had WinXP installed on this computer before and it worked fine, then I formatted the HD and Re-Installed windows. It was working great, the all of a sudden one day it just started freezing up on me. I thought okay the computer is frozen, probably I have to do a hard reboot, but then it unlocked its self and it keeps doing this over and over again. I am not getting and BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death), and my event logs show nothing abnormal. I have not connected any new hardware, or installed any new software.

What could possibly be making my computer act so strange? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dai

dai

check to see if you have anything running in the background i.e virus scan
    check for virus or spyware

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice